Found Lake Ontario Muskie

There is a twin to this topic in the walleye forum. Dr. Farrell of the Thousand Island Biological Research Station would like to have the opportunity to examine this fish if possible. So if anyone has any info that can help him toward that possibility please respond here or better yet you can contact him at this address.  [email protected]

Looks like there might be another problem as several have been found dead.

If several others have also been found dead, it is possible that Dr. Farrell and/or the DEC may want to examine a few. Hopefully this one just died of old age but even if that is so, it still may be an interesting specimen to be examined.

Numerous muskies have died this spring and throughout june and july..... Obviously Dr Farrell is the expert as it relates to normalcy and mortality rates. As a community of anglers and conservationists I know we will pull together to provide ESF all the support we can muster. Dr Farrell and his team do an incredible job protecting our beloved muskies and amazing fishery. Thank you to all for playing an active role in protecting our muskies and here is to a productive & safe 2016 season.

Is it a normal occurrence to find musky so far south? I have heard stories of tigers being spotted in North Sandy but I have never seen proof so I've had my doubts. Now it seems a bit more possible to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fish like this one are likely migratory from the st. Lawrence. They'll over-winter adjacent to their spawning areas in the fall/winter, spawn in the spring, and then return to big water. It is possible that this fish may have just died from old age (hopefully).

Lots of dead gulls, cormorants and dead fish floating around the lake lately.  I have heard the birds is from Botulism.  Could it kill off the fish? 

Correct, Type E botulism affects waterbirds like gulls, ducks, cormorants, etc. It will affect certain fish species (primarily benthic species like gobies, carp, bullhead, sturgeon, etc.) but I am not sure if it will affect a top-predator species like a muskie

I had a dead 48" muskie float up right next to my boat dock in Henderson Harbor...I sure hope there isn't a strange die off, I would love to see our muskie fishery grow.

20160716_090423.jpg

20160716_090415.jpg

Edited by HuntNY

Botulism is an interesting candidate. We Certainly know ducks and the like are on the muskie menu[emoji848]. One of my uncle's favorite experiences while trolling the SLR was having a 50"+ muskie breach 30' from his boat as it chased a submerged loon to the surface and forced it into flight!!! Very cool and powerful display of predation behavior. (Loons have had a difficult time with botulism e) Many types of Birds provide a nice high fat snack for the muskie..... Its good to be apex....

Edited by EsoxAC3

Oh no not again! Dr Farrell said they hadnt even recovered from the last die off. Maybe the hot water invites different diseases? Muskies can be anywhere along the eastern end as that is the summer haunts for many before returning to the river in fall. There has to be some die off from old age but it is concerning if anglers are seeing them dead all at once. That's 3 pictures right there. OMG. What a shame.