Walleye Fishing Slow?

EsoxAC3

Canadian walleyes are also sold at the Big M in Alexandria Bay for a similar price. Prof T and I have been putting some valuable fillets in our freezers. Good thing they aren't sold from NY waters. I'm sure greed would cause populations to fall rapidly.

Finally I have been putting up some valuable fillets in a consistent manner myself.

Kevin,

To demonstrate the lengths people will go for walleye I'll tell you all a disturbing story....

So back in May I had LOU members Salty Seaman, and Hermit out casting for walleye. We had nice pick going and I was pulling my anchor to move again and its snagged. After some heavy lifting i get it up and see I snagged a rope. I start pulling the rope to see what it is...after some real heavy lifting I bring up a huge fish trap....much bigger than a barrel. Hermit spots the hatch...I open it up and it's FULL OF FISH....biggest walleye was a sporty 9 pounder...I released the fish called the authorities. The sad thing is the rope went right up on private property to a house north of a half million dollars.....so yeah greedy people will do anything for a walleye! I'm so glad walleye can't be sold on our side!

Justin, that story is disturbing...,. But unfortunately it does not surprise me. There are always those people with little respect for our natural resources. Entitled. Very frustrating.

Weaver,

You are right, sir. Some fish pushes 37.00/lb at Weggies. 19.99 is down the middle and their Lobster is 11.99/lb. by comparison. Retail seafood in upstate NY is generally pretty pricey I guess. Its relative though. My sister lives in Kansas and most seafood seems like 40.00/lb but a ribeye is 3.99/lb.

Edited by EsoxAC3

Justin, I hope the owner(s) of the property get the maximum sentence. It should also be publicized so it might make others think twice about violating fisheries regulations. A problem is that too often the local courts don't take this stuff very seriously and let the scumbags go with a warning.

They saw me find the trap and pulled it before the ECO arrived...I'll find it if it ever gets used again and the ECO involved has a plan to handle it....I had a nice chat with the same ECO Saturday and he ticketed the boat next to me for undersize walleye...no shortage of cheaters!

Agreed...

Big City markets don't care where it come from.

Justin, I never heard of such a thing.  Seems like it would be hard to conceal.  Could you see it on your graph?  I believe you that you found it, I just can not believe somebody would be that bold on such an inhabited lake.

A guy I have met, who happens to fish commercially, stumbled upon a tributary this spring..... He was out and about and could not believe that walleye had run up this creek to spawn.... There were hundreds of eyes gathered to spawn miles from lake O.... Amazing, really. A guy who makes his living fishing, you would think respects nature and our fishery..... Wrong. What did he do? Grabbed a contractor bag and filled it with fish. About 15!! Fortunately someone nearby saw him and contacted the sherriffs dept. He was greeted at the road as tried to leave. But the fish didnt make it. Talk about greedy and entitled!! He sells fillets, mostly perch and bluegill, to people he knows. Sadly, I believe money was motivation. There aren't enough tickets IMO.....

Edited by EsoxAC3

The first thing I/we thought of when we found the trap was...what else are these individuals doing? Anyone willing to build a huge home made fish trap and put it out isn't worried about seasons, limits, or breaking the rules! There is a creek that has a good run right there too along the same private property and there isn't anyone around then either....there are several other houses in that area that used to leave baited lines out all night every night. I snagged up their lines enough they quit.

So to un-hijack Esox's thread, and back on topic, it's been a good bite this summer in the hot weather. Two more from yesterday, crawler harnesses and not as deep as one would imagine!

post-147894-0-62839500-1469558352_thumb.jpeg