Still tough fishing 🎣 not many fish on the graph only did a couple of small browns

Yes very tough fishing for me as well.

Just curious:

Has something happened with the salmon fishery in this area over the years? Reason i ask is I just started getting back into lake O fishing again after a 10 year break and losing my dad who raised me fishing this lake. Got my own rig now and enjoy taking my son. However I have over 20 years on the lake working as a first mate on several charter boats out of the little salmon, and fishing with my father in between working. The fishing back then seemed much better than it does now. I also don't see nearly as many charter boats in this area like there was when i fished the bay in the past.

I don't consider myself a rookie, I'm catching some fish, had a great spring with the browns, but just not seeing the (salmon) numbers I'm used to seeing in the past.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am in the same situation as you , fished on lake ontario for alot of years then life happened, house n job. Just got back into a couple of years ago and I thought the the same thing you are, we caught more fish back in the day. I'm catching fish, but not the numbers.

Totally agree with the previous two posts. Salmon fishing has declined drastically in the past few years ( at least in Mexico bay ). Fish used to move in around the 2nd week In July and the fishing was phenomenal now it's a struggle to catch a few small chinooks

That's why I'm on a trailer this year. Slipped in Mexico last year and not to mention the brown fishing wasn't what it was. I'll move around, smack some walleye and wait for any kinda numbers of nookies to show up instead of beating a dead horse

That's why I'm on a trailer this year. Slipped in Mexico last year and not to mention the brown fishing wasn't what it was. I'll move around, smack some walleye and wait for any kinda numbers of nookies to show up instead of beating a dead horse

Me too. Glad I didn't jump the gun and get a slip this year, I'm an hour and a half drive from Mexico. I've never had to look into launching elsewhere, but looking into it now. Gonna try further west unless thing's start to pick up.

Totally agree that the Salmon fishing in Mexico Bay has been declining for the last 3 seasons. Very frustrating to have time and money invested in it and see most fish caught West of Oswego. Seems like as soon as I saved up enough to have a permanent camp and a slip the fishing shut down.

Was the second boat to launch Sunday on a solo trip and setup in 125fow at 05:20am. Temps were all over the place, tried every combo I had, Flashers & SD with flies and spoons, tried all my spoon color setups and switched up every hour an a half or so out to 180fow. Trolled east to west north to south, marked some small bait pods around 100 here or there, but didn't move a rod all day. A little chatter on the radio with a few hook-up, could have been the group of boats outside of Sandy's. Congrats to those folks.

I agree that the fishing has been off a bit the last three years, but If I were in Mexico (LSR. Catfish etc) having the problem with lack of deep water without having to run several miles, and the fact that summer winds fill the bay with warm water, I would consider moving your boat to Oswego or even FH? It's 1 mile to deep water. Good structure for browns, and there is never a time when you can't get to Cold water fast. Salmon fishing the last couple weeks had been good. Now granted there are times when the bay out- fishes Oswego for browns, and if corse the fall run for kings, but all in all I believe you would be more happy moving a little west. There are "multiple" captains and rec. guys who moved out of the river and couldn't believe they didn't do it sooner. Just food for thought.

I agree that the fishing has been off a bit the last three years, but If I were in Mexico (LSR. Catfish etc) having the problem with lack of deep water without having to run several miles, and the fact that summer winds fill the bay with warm water, I would consider moving your boat to Oswego or even FH? It's 1 mile to deep water. Good structure for browns, and there is never a time when you can't get to Cold water fast. Salmon fishing the last couple weeks had been good. Now granted there are times when the bay out- fishes Oswego for browns, and if corse the fall run for kings, but all in all I believe you would be more happy moving a little west. There are "multiple" captains and rec. guys who moved out of the river and couldn't believe they didn't do it sooner. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the info my friend. A good buddy of mine fishes the Oswego/Fairhaven area said the same thing. My dilemma is do I drive buy vehicle the extra 35 minutes(I get 11 mpg in truck) or still launch out of the little salmon and make the run buy boat. I can do 50mph on calm waters with the boat. And I really like the launch at the little salmon.

Thanks for the info my friend. A good buddy of mine fishes the Oswego/Fairhaven area said the same thing. My dilemma is do I drive buy vehicle the extra 35 minutes(I get 11 mpg in truck) or still launch out of the little salmon and make the run buy boat. I can do 50mph on calm waters with the boat. And I really like the launch at the little salmon.

well i would look at it like this. an extra 20 miles from LSR to Wrights landing (if its that far?) 11 MPG  2 gallons of gas @ $2.30 a gallon. so for 5 bucks each way your not driving there?  after all thats invested in your endeavor to catch fish?  If you run 50 MPH from LSR to Oz, you will burn 10 times the gas. IMO  just sayin   good luck going forward. 

I've been fishing out of  Mexico for a Looong time.    It has always been spotty compared to the rest of the lake.   Some years better than others.    Reasons are various and many already mentioned.    Primary thing it has going for it is the salmon river and staging fish coming into the bay.  

Going out of salmon river FridayWish I had plans to go westDeeper warner is where the fish areThey will show up sooner or laterMost likely made to end of AugustThat is what I have seen the last two or three years

Lineman you are not wrong about the fish numbers.

i fished for 20 years and quit about 12 years ago because of the fish being gone.

Zebra muscles did it to the feed base for the sawbellies so our forage base shrunk. 

It seems to be coming back some.  I will go out of Sodus tomorrow and see what I find.

Will let you know

I always had good luck off Braddock Bay in 150fow  

It's hard for me to add from the past or dispute the current but here is my perspective towards the Great Lake and Mexico area .

Family had a trailer boat in the hey days of the 80 which I would experience . Once that opportunity disappeared I took to the tributary fishing and it was zero - 100 at any given year for 35 years .

3 years ago I was blessed with the lake opportunity on my own accord once again to share with my family and grandkids . Yes it is a hobby ( for me ) to fish the Great Lake Ontario , yes I threw some money into the sport . It's been a struggle but not a defeat to catch fish out of that great lake . Some of the best times have come on days when we caught nothing .

It's a place that offers opportunity , the fish are a bonus

I try like heck but don't get discouraged , well unless we get blown off , that sucks .

Personally for me if my lines are in the water , I'm fishing and if I'm not then we are having fun on an adventure

I will leave the scientific data to the experts

Went out of salmon river Saturday Good size waves Went north to about stony creekSet up about 130 Finished southwest to about 150 or 60 Got about 6 Lakers on the boat  Switched up for salmon Fished towards the plantTwo about 190 Got 2 salmon one decent one Little It was a little rough for me

Fished from Little Salmon to Power Plant on Wednesday and Thursday in 100 to 150 fow. Temps were all over the place. Fair amount of marks on graph - very few bait balls.  Washed a lot of spoons and a few flies. Never moved a rod !!

Spent over 10 hours in the water this weekend with two super patient teenage girls. All we had was one skippy king the entire trip! Cold water all over the bay but very few marks. Fished 80-220 fow. Best marks were in the 130 range in front of the plant. Has to get better!