Out of Schools SCS shootout week.

I would first like to say how great a job was done by everyone on the shootout committee putting on such a great event, it was done professionally and was really great at fostering the trolling community aspect of the sport .  I am just getting fully back into the salmon and trout game after a 20 year absence and was completely intimidated by the idea of joining a tournament.  My goal was not to come in dead last, try to produce a box I could be proud of, and most importantly have a good time.  In my book I accomplished all three goal and had a great time talking to everyone.  

Started prefishing Wednesday with Larry (Henrybud)  We setup right out of Sandy in 100 foot of water and trolled north to 250.  We had a great north-south bite all morning and had the best day on the boat since I got it late spring last year.  We went 13-16 with our biggest being a 21.5lbs.  It was surely a spoon bite with Geezer being the star for most of the morning.

Once again on Thursday Larry and Myself left the dock and tried duplicating the setup of the day before.  We again saw a spoon bite similar to the day before with geezer shining as well as a Northport Nailer spoon in Glo Blue chartreuse doing some damage. We went 6-7 for 7 before the bite shutdown on us and we called it an early morning.  Best fish was a little over 16.  

Big Fish Friday brought a new weather pattern with bigger waves,  and much like everyone else we headed west to the nose to setup.  We did leave a little later than a lot of guys and it seemed by the time we setup and decide to troll west while we missed a lot of the morning bite.  We  soon started trolling with the waves but spoon bite really slowed down for us and what we got on them seemed to be shakers.  Larry decided to change the program up and started running some Big Weenie rigs and meat on the dipsy's.  Within ten minutes of the change-up we managed to put a 10 pounder and a 16 pounder on the deck.  Unfortunately those were the biggest fish we could boat and while we brought up the rear of those weighing in we at least had something to weigh in.  Everybody was great to talk to at the East Fork Weigh-in and it was great seeing Tom make an appearance. The atmosphere was really nice to be part of.

The SCS shootout - 

We added my wife and daughter to the crew for the shootout and decided that we were going to out the creek and troll downhill instead of making the run west, we didn't want to risk missing a majority of morning bite again.  We setup and 70 foot of water with the meat program on the dispy's and the spoons on the rigger.  Unfortunately the first hour or so only gave us a few of the shakers everyone has become so familiar with.  The morning was very slow for use but we finally managed to have a slightly better fish hit the dipsyy and we pulled in a 6 pound king in.  Not long after we got another solid hit on the meat and put a 22 pound king in the box.  Unfortunately what we hoped would be a better string of hits with bigger fish did not occur and we kept dealing with those smaller fish.  We did get a 4 or 5 pound steelhead that we released.  Around 12:45 we switched to laker rigs and pulled up a 6 pounder and another smaller one we released.  At this point we had a long trip back against the waves from Braddock's and only a hour in a half to get to weigh-in.  We pushed the speed the best we could with the waves and got to weigh-in with ten minutes to spare.  We brought in 3 fish for a little under 35 pounds and 28th place.  If I would have kept that steelhead the ten points for the fish and weight would have moved us up 3 or 4 places, but since we were not in the running for money,  I am glad there is a steelhead out there swimming today instead of a needless casualty.

I am really proud of what we did in were rough conditions and I am very proud and happy to have such a great crew.  My daughter did a great job of sticking it out in some nasty waves and managed to get three fish with that laker in the box being her contribution to the weigh in.  Larry did a great job of changing our program up when the spoons bite died.  I would also like to congratulate Matt French on a great salmon and Scream n reels on their winning box.  Thanks, everyone it was a great fun and can't wait for next year.

post-140367-0-38605000-1469458013_thumb.jpg

post-140367-0-10179000-1469458025_thumb.jpg

post-140367-0-29380800-1469458028_thumb.jpg