Penn 600/625 rigger weight capacity

I run the above manual riggers. What's the weight capacity on them? I'm running 10 lbs. I know that Penn sold only 10 lbs weights so figured that's the suggested limit. Anyone run heavier weights?

Luke those downriggers are pretty sturdy and I have friends that have used 12 or 14 lb weights on them for some time now. The major concern with weight is usually with the electrics because of the motors and their potential frailties (especially the older ones) although having strong booms is also important and perhaps most important to have them anchored well at the bases so they don't flex with the increased torque. The only thing to think about is the amount of effort winching them up all the time....it may have you changing lures less frequently and have the side effect of having a Popeye arm :lol:

Thanks for the reply Les. They are pretty stout and the plates are mounted solid. If I go to a heavier weight, I'll probably add a backing plate for peace of mind. They also crank well with relative ease and will keep me young reeling them in! Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I run the above manual riggers. What's the weight capacity on them? I'm running 10 lbs. I know that Penn sold only 10 lbs weights so figured that's the suggested limit. Anyone run heavier weights?

I have Penn 600/625's on both of my boats and the owners manual says max weight for those riggers is 14 pounds. I run 12.5 pound torpedo weights and they are a great combination.

Thanks Todd. I really like the riggers. They're smooth and sturdy. I figured they could take more weight. I got new 10# fish shaped weights from Bikinibottom over the winter, so I probably won't be upgrading soon, just wanted to know for the future. Thanks again for coming through with the manual!!!

No Problem Luke. I love my Penn riggers. They are smooth and sturdy. I've had 175ft of cable out on mine this year and reeling them in is not a problem. I have 2 of them on the 360 degree swivel bases on the transom, and 2 mounted on 180 degree bases on gimbal mounts on the gunwale.

I've gotten a lot of parts from Scott's Bait and Tackle. I have rebuilt all of my bases with new washers and stuff. That's also where I found and downloaded an owners manual and parts diagrams. Here's a link to their web page http://store.scottsbt.com/PennParts/Downriggers.aspx

On the web site scroll down to;

Penn Downriggers

Fathom-Master Manual 600 and 625 Series

Or you can click on owners manual above and it will take you to that link too.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Todd in NY