Crossing to canada from rochester

Looking to take a ride across the lake out of Rochester to canada. Anyone have a suggestion of a close town across from rochester where i could dock, get lunch and come home? I heard colburg but it looks a little far if i wanted to go directly across.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jeff it isn't as simple as going for a boat ride any longer because of the security issues. You'll need to check into the new procedures before going to avoid problems (and even potential boat confiscation)

Txs Les. Yup, started reading online about passport and calling customs ahead of time. Wish it was just a boat ride to say, hey, I did it, ride was cool. Oh well, I'll figure it out and get my ride in on a calm day one way or another :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by tannero

We do it 3-4 times a year. It's really not that hard to do. Just call into customs when you touch land. If you fish across call when you cross the boarder and when you touch land. You will go through cell coverage dead zones, so make sure you have check in's scheduled with someone when you get to the other side. Also, make sure you have the proper stuff in case of an emergency. Coberg is really a nice port. When we were younger my father took us across in his 21' Penn Yan. We went from Braddock's to Devils Nose and then across. 

Make sure you know the Canadian rules and regulations when I went through CG course they had a lot of heads up to go over. A 12 gauge flare gun is legal in the US. But is illegal and considered a weapon in Canada. Also. No ports potties. All marine heads must be sealed with no possible overboard discharge while in Canads. And on and on. Check with CG before you make your trip

Thanks guys. Maybe Colburg it is. Appreciate the warning on the CA rules and CG checkout, I'll Do that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've made numerous trips from Rochester to ports across the lake, and would recommend Cobourg (even though it's a little west). Its a nice little town with a couple good bars/restaurants and a nice beach.

The other nice option is to go directly across and enter the Bay of Quinte. Once you go into the Bay of Quinte, after passing through a canal a couple miles long directly off the lake, you have access to a few ports (Trenton, Belleville and Picton are a few of the larger ones). Its a very nice ride through the Bay of Quinte, and you could even drive all the way across it and come out the east side then head back across the lake. 

The biggest thing to be very cautious of (other than the canadian regulations others pointed out) is how fast conditions change out ther and how often weather, especially wind forecasts are wrong! Its about a 60 mile trip across and a lot can change in 3 hours. I'd recommend planning an early morning start after a calm day/night before and be able to stay the night if the weather changes after you reach the other side.

Good luck and enjoy. Trips across the lake have been some of my best boating memories!