1989 24 Thompson

Bad Habit

looking at a 1989 24 Thompson hard top. It has a 5.0 mercruiser/alpha outdrive. I'm wondering what this boat weighs and if the 5.0 would be under powered. Any history of stringer or transom rot issues. I've e-mailed the seller but haven't received a reply yet. Any other pros and cons appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

If it is the one for sale in Syracuse I can tell you it is a great boat! It is my old one and I miss it everyday. I have had a bunch of boats from Offshore boats in the salt to 12' duck boats and almost everything in between. Hands down that 24' Thompson hard top was my favorite. I could give you a list of pros a mile long but not very many cons other then the fact I should of put trim tabs on her. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want with any questions. 

I owned 2 240 Thompsons and they still rank up there with best fishing platforms for the Great Lakes. I had a 170 4 cylinder in the first one which could have used a little more at times but the 5.0 in the second one was just fine. Some have had some stringer and transom issues but a lot depends on how they were used Dry dock. Moored,seasonal stoage. Great boats though and I wished the still made the 240. Have a survey on transom and s ringers to be sure.

I have a 240 Open Fisherman with a 4.3 v6 plenty motor for it and it's easy on gas. I did replace the transom on mine. Make sure you look it over because they are horrible about bad stringers and transoms. Also a shameless plug it is for sale.