What kicker motor has the best charging system?

Here's another consideration...

For those of you running a kicker with an I/O stern drive, how are you steering your kicker? My I/O has power assisted rack and pinion, and my kicker would be attached to the out drive via a bar or rod. Would that make it more difficult to steer the kicker with the main motor and power steering system not running?

Yup, no power steering on 2160/2460 models when the main engine is off. In practice it's not a big problem. Steering is tight but passable with an ex steer connector. Low speed steering on these boats (with power steering/main engine on) is like guiding a drunken sailor...the reduced play in the steering can be helpful for non-drunken sailor crew.

1 amp doesn't seem like enough juice with all the electronics we run.

kinda agree however for what it's worth , went with a 9.8 electric start, now I run Depth, Fish Hawk, AP,radios, lights, aerator. When I'm done trolling 6-8hrs my batteries are at 14v like new. When I had my non electric prior to I had to start my main every now and then to make sure That level of comfort to me is huge and would never go back to a non charging system.

kinda agree however for what it's worth , went with a 9.8 electric start, now I run Depth, Fish Hawk, AP,radios, lights, aerator. When I'm done trolling 6-8hrs my batteries are at 14v like new. When I had my non electric prior to I had to start my main every now and then to make sure That level of comfort to me is huge and would never go back to a non charging system.

Good to know, thanks!

Yup, no power steering on 2160/2460 models when the main engine is off. In practice it's not a big problem. Steering is tight but passable with an ex steer connector. Low speed steering on these boats (with power steering/main engine on) is like guiding a drunken sailor...the reduced play in the steering can be helpful for non-drunken sailor crew.

Funny, we don't want to troll in straight lines anyway, right? What steering connector do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Pro kicker puts out almost 6 amp whether idle or full throttle. They are specifically designed for the application. Also when using a kicker on a full size boat your never at idle. I'm usually 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This late in the season I'll just wait until next year to make a decision. It seems like a 25" shaft is the best way to go for my boat, based on what you other Bayliner Trophy owners are saying.

I just have two batteries connected in parallel. Run all day just using my kicker motor which has no charging system at all.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the info. My one size 29 Interstate battery takes up too much of my battery box to add another battery without some modifications. I've considered adding a cranking battery next year.

I run a 1980's 7.5 Honda with little to no charging at troll speeds. Run 3 riggers, GPs, Fishhawk, Sonar,& Troll King.. With a reg. starting battery it fishes all day and still has enough amps left in it to fire up the 88hp OB. I do carry a spare Group[ 27 deep cycle as a reserve just in case. The only fall out is my sonar will start not marking bottom in 500FOW+.

So a good used 4stroke and an extrza $100 deep cycle battery gets my vote. Plus it's good to have a 2nd battery anyways just in case! 

Thing is for me I don't want wear and tear on my big outboard so I run the merc 9.9 with 2 deep cycle battery's pushing a 23 ft bayliner trophy radio is going... fish finder is on lights on bilge off and on occassionally only time it didn't keep up the charging was once I forgot to turn bilge pump off but then all ya gotta do is turn off all your **** and run your kicker for 10-15 minutes and you'll get enough juice to turn over your big motor

Newfie Bruce

There are many advantages to a kicker, and the feedback here has been great. I like having a kicker as a backup motor, to keep the hours lower on my main, better fuel economy, and a kicker isn't as loud.