real slow 3 of 4 1 steelie 6lbs and couple baby kings 4lbsh.everyone was whining on the radio only a few caught mentioned,one being landshark and his non derby fish 27lbr. now let me tell you ive been boating for about 40 years and have had my own boat for the last 25 years and have fished the narrow hudsonriver on a weekend during the heat of the striper run and i have never seen so many (idiots )driving boats as we did today im talking charters and recs alike .Im shure ther are many good boaters in the oswego area, but holy crap the boneheads were out today .id like to mention a few others but i wont. great day to be on the water....

Ray,

Couldn't agree with you more. Fished all over the lake and the Finger Lakes and have found fishing out of Oswego The worst. Last year we had a charter on a 30"er cut us off within 20yards and the same guy take out our 400' copper rig when he cut in behind us. Have learned to stay away from the crowds when we fish Oswego... it's brutal!!!!

Yeah, here's a typical Oswego boat:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/caddy ... 2732277456

Seriously though, I fished Oswego pretty heavy for 3 seasons in an 18 foot Alumacraft and I was bullied by the bigger boats. It may be that when running on auto pilot some feel they have the right of way because they "chose their course first". I came to enjoy the joisting because it provides a great means for exercising the gray matter. Estimating closure rates and angles as you work through the pack is a skill that must be developed.

I've heard the charters cussing and complaining about the little guys on many occasions as if it was their Lake. They should remember that the fishery is supported by and for the recreational angler, whether they be on a charter boat, in their own boat or off the shore/pier.

The lake is open to boats and crews of all experience levels and we shouuld all be preppared for and considerate of those with the least experince. We all started at the same level of ignorance and learned to fit in.

Hey guys, were all out there for the same reason, but remember that were out there tryin to make a living!!! Sometimes we find that a troll in different direction works much better and it may not be the typical east west or north south that is typical for different areas!!! ALSO PLEASE DONT CUT BEHIND PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! We waved off several boats that came out of nowhere and wanted to cut behind us at 400 feet! WERE RINNING COPPER AT 600 FEET!!!!!!! Please be considerate and dont cut behind other boats. Watch what were doin for direction, it may help improve your catch too!!!

So.....because you are making a living at fishing, you have the right of way? What? Please, running 600' copper in a pack is lunacy! Maybe, we need a flag system to denote if someone is running copper! :D

Hey guys, were all out there for the same reason, but remember that were out there tryin to make a living!!! Sometimes we find that a troll in different direction works much better and it may not be the typical east west or north south that is typical for different areas!!! ALSO PLEASE DONT CUT BEHIND PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! We waved off several boats that came out of nowhere and wanted to cut behind us at 400 feet! WERE RINNING COPPER AT 600 FEET!!!!!!! Please be considerate and dont cut behind other boats. Watch what were doin for direction, it may help improve your catch too!!!

I've never had another boat "just come out of nowhere". Were they hiding behide a tree, or maybe a large hill? It sounds to me like you need to rely a little less on your auto pilot and focus a little more on where you are going. 600ft of copper is a LOT of line, but it does catch fish. I'm not suggesting you dont use it, but it's YOUR line, and if your going to drag that much behind you, you need to be more vigilint on where you are going.

I wish you hadnt said we were there to make a living! No body owns the water including us Charter captains! Every one should fish like every boat is pullin a 600 Copper!!! I understand there are traffic issues week in and week out but just follow rules of the road, and most of the time it works out. Greg is right look for your own fish and keep your mouth shut on the radio you will most likely have the spot to yourself, if you say something on the radio and boats come your way its your own fault.

Tight Lines and Full Coolers

Brian

Team Tall Tails

Ya just had to do it didn't ya Ray, now ya got people talking about copper out house wirin' agin.....No wonder I couldn't yak atcha on the two way communicater from the Oak ;( I need a bigger antenna (on my boat)... I could a told ya that there was nobody bein' mean around the breeze an Ya woulda had somebody ta tell ya where all the BIG fish was at :roll:

I have learned to assume that people do not make allowances for running copper and also there are times that you simply can't run it due to the volume of boats on the water. I have a 19'er and typically fish away from the pack but in my 20+ years fishing the vast majority of issues have been with just a few persistant offenders(unfortunately charters) . I now just stay away from them. Makes it a better day on the water.

Hey, Ray, thanks for letting me ****, now may daily quota if filled!!!

I've never seen so many boats out of Oswego this time of year. It was almost like combat fishing in the Fall. MOST of the guys are very considerate, except for those few that are not willing to follow the law. ALL the times I've been cut off have been by boats bigger than my 22 footer. Does that tell you something?

Come on guys, if you see someone from a mile away that might be a problem, give way and either speed up or slow down to avoid a bad day. A little commen courtesy goes a long way. That goes for recs and charters alike.

alloutdoorsman, I spend over a hundred bucks to trailer my boat back and forth each time TRYING to catch a few fish for myself, not to mention gas for the boat and all other related expenses. I understand that you're trying to make a living, but a little consideration for us rec fishermen would be appreciated. You were there one time too. ;)

I've never had another boat "just come out of nowhere". Were they hiding behide a tree, or maybe a large hill? It sounds to me like you need to rely a little less on your auto pilot and focus a little more on where you are going. 600ft of copper is a LOT of line, but it does catch fish. I'm not suggesting you dont use it, but it's YOUR line, and if your going to drag that much behind you, you need to be more vigilint on where you are going.

Dirtyworm that first line of yours was outstanding and really funny :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I almost spit out my drink and the rest was perfect!!!!

we've all been pushed around and i've got off course at least once when solo with fish on. if you're lonely get observed with a fish on on a slow day.the ocansional screw up is bound to happen,but there are a few boats who are habitual offenders day in day out.recs and pros alike. i have learned to avoid their section of the lake,unless i am in the boat for sale no one wants to buy.then if they break it,they or their insurance carrier can buy it. :lol:

I fished out of Oswego for 15 years, & then four years ago, I got fed up with the idiots out of this harbor. I now use other ones where the people are still civilized!!! What also fries my bacon is the people that think it is OK to set their boat up, or break it down in the launching area. I politely asked several of these inconsiderate oafs to move so we could launch or retrive our boats & got the single finger salute, along with a large number of four letter words that would take the paint off a septic tank!! It is too bad because Oswego is a great port! Wonder how long it will be before someone is assualted/injured/killed over this kind of behavior????

OK,OK .........enuf im convinced that we wernt the ones from mars out there. Breath in with the good out with the bad......................... stix you hide behind the trees and ill sneak up on them from behind the hills they ant gotta chance.

i hope to start getting up to oswego starting the end of July after my Quebec trip and fishing slows down on oneida lake - I'm a pure rookie for lake O and this thread has not made me feel any better about going up there? I certainly don't want to go up and the cause any problems for anyone - whether they are making a living or just having fun :$ . I'm sure I'll be dealing enough with my own issues :shock:.

I fished Friday, Saturday & Sunday. When I came out of the chute and saw all the boats to the west I just headed a little east and caught fish every day with no problems. I have been fishing Oswego exclusively for over 10 years most of whick was out of a 17' boat. I always just go the opposite way of the pack. I admit I haven't caught any derby winners but according to the article in GLA by Capt. Ernie Lanteigne (spelling) to catch the biggest fish stay away from the pack the big guys don't like the competition from the smaller more aggressive fish. You never know when that 40 lber is going to hit and I would rather have a little room to maneuver when it does happen. Just my thoughts. Good luck to everyone, I will be fishing Oswego every week-end until Labor Day.

Burt

Ray, thanks .. i planned even befor this thread of going off on my own .. if for no other reasons .. so there are no witnesses to my misshaps I'm asure I'll have !!

FM ... thats good to know i can scot of by myself ... I'm not looking for derby winners ... I just want to keep the problems to a min, catch some fish and enjoy a day on the water and not being at work...

ALL IM SAYIN IS EVERY TIME WE MOVE AWAY THEY FOLLOW AND HAVE NO CONSIDERATION WHEN WERE FIGHTING GISH OR PULLIN COPPER!!! i DONT RUN AUTO PILOT AND USE A MATE!!!! IM ON THE WHEEL TRYIN TO AVOID PROBLEMS BUT NO ONE SEEMS TO BE CONSIDERATE OR UNDERSTAND THAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU NEVER CUT CLOSE BEHIND ANOTHER BOAT!!!

I DONT OWN THE WATER AND AM VERY CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS!!!

STOP FOLLOWIN ME AROUND, THERES FISH EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!