Trim/tilt rebuild on older units

Went for a run last night with the family and when i got home i noticed that one of the rams on my trim unit was leaking i did also notice that it was a little sluggish when i was pulling the boat out of the water onto the trailer. My question is does anybody know of anyone who would rebuild these units at least the ram ? Im thinking its just the upper seals but the unit is so old i cant seem to find replacement parts and i dont really want to look for a newer one and screw around with the fit and controls or the price tag haha. This has been a great unit for me and would hate to lose it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am mechanicaly inclined also so i guess i could do it myself if i could find the correct seals/parts.

Thanks

John

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They make rebuild kits for these cylinders, I rebuilt mine and it was quite easy. That was a few years ago, I found all the info I needed via the Internet, the package was around $50.00 and it cured my problems. Actually I bought a rebuilt cylinder off eBay first but all I got was a box, poor shipping box the end opened up and gone, nobody could find it and I got my money back, that's when I looked into doing the rebuild, and glad I did!! I'll look for the site also if I find it I'll pm you!! Good luck pap. Let's hope like the above post says that it's a alpha or alpha1

Edited by pap

Google alpha and alpha1 trim cylinders rebuild kits, this will direct you to where you want to be, I bought my kits off the eBay guys.

No its a outboard 85 hp evinrude circa 1973 the boat is only 16 foot ....I looked up some schematic on marineengine.com (of course all the seals I need are obsolete) but from what I can tell it looks like 3 O-rings. Im going to keep looking online an checking the oil till I put it to bed for the winter. Hopefully I can find a kit or parts to make life a little easier. t im thinking if I do pull it apart and it is just O-rings( hopefully) I hove lots of them rom my tranny rebuild days lol