Sad to say

I have not been on lake Ontario in about 13 or 14 years and was a USCG.AUX member and Vessel  operator for the previous 15 years. I did well over 100 SAR's and towed dozens of disabled boats into dock.  Today I was testing a boat I just bought off Sodus and the Steering gear broke and I could make headway in only one direction All the guys fishing and not one response on Chanel 9 or 16

The Tow guy in Sodus was nice [and expensive]

No one at Sodus Station on week days?  That is sad too.

Well brother boaters the boat will be repaired and IF I hear a distress call ! 

I will pull the down riggers and respond ! 

I would rather land a 5000 pound  boat that a Salmon If it save a a fellow boater some grief

Have a good day

Dr W 

Vessel:  Fine Spine

You know, a few years back my father n law and I launched out of the oak and ran about 6 miles before the boat completely quit with an electrical problem.  We made a call at 6:00 am.  After only 15 minutes a boat showed up.  Father and son had just dropped all their gear when they pulled it all and came to our assistance.  Towed us all the way back to Oak.  Ruined their morning.  couldn't take a dime and sad to say they motored on before we got their names.

Still think about those guys when I am on the lake.   Very sorry to hear your situation today and that nobody responded, but thankfully there are great guys out there still.  What goes around comes around and someday I hope to be able to help someone out who needs it like we did that day and you did today.

Sorry to hear your story Dr W, really sad there wasn't a helping hand out there. I could understand a charter being hesitant, but no excuse imho for others. I've towed a few on Keuka over the years. Glad to see your still positive. Best wishes !!

I ran into a situation where the splines stripped in my out drive back when I was up North, Salmon River area. We were in over 200 FOW. It's a scary feeling. I got on ch. 68 and a pleasure fisherman towed us in. I offered to pay him and he refused me. He told me, "Just return the favor the next time you hear someone call out." From that point on, I answered calls and assisted or towed a boater in trouble. Steve.....

I do not have a radio...yet. I was thinking about picking one up as cell reception is nill in some areas. I have towed and been towed in the smaller inland lakes here in Ontario and know the feeling. I have never had to wait long for help. I can understand how it could have been a spooky feeling with no power in the middle of Lake Ontario. 200FOW is 10 miles out here. Isn't it illegal to ignore a distress call...never mind unethical! Got my rigger cables all tangled up last year in the middle of the fleet and thought for sure I was going to have to spoil someone's day. Figured it out thank god.

Coast Guard Oswego must have some Radio [they do I know] When they responded to my call it was like they were at Sodus Point, not 40 miles away.

BTW I never get Angry or Biter. I just wanted to vent about how things have declined on Lake Ontario as far as U.S.C.G. aux participation.  Back 20 years ago we had Auxiliary vessels  on duty during the week quite often.

Perhaps we all should consider stepping up and join the local flotilla and give 2 or 3 days a year to watch out for one an other?

Dr W

Fine spine  

I keep a tow strap on my boat at all times, just in case I need to be towed or in, or in case I need to tow someone else. I know there are still plenty of good fishermen on the lakes, but there are some boneheads too. I usually fish during the week because I am retired and because I hate crowded boat launches.

Remember. ...cell phones are only good if there is someone who you know is out there with you nearby. Unless you want to spend money on a tow service.

I carry 2 radios...1 portable scanner, on all the time. One fixed 25 watt on a high gain antenna to reach out. I will respond in need. Won't take your cash either!.... been in need myself in scary places...BQE out of fuel at night, before the Verrazano bridge. Not on water but, not in good neighborhood. Radio saved me with a trucker coming by.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is our duty as fellow boaters to assist one another in times of distress..... Im not sure if it's "law"or not but it should be. It certainly is a law to live by..... If my boat is ever taking on water 10 miles off shore.... I hope someone is inclined to respond. I know that I would do the same. Its the right thing to do no matter what the emergency. I would rather respond to a distress call than have to make one. Be safe out there.

It is our duty as fellow boaters to assist one another in times of distress..... Im not sure if it's "law"or not but it should be. It certainly is a law to live by..... If my boat is ever taking on water 10 miles off shore.... I hope someone is inclined to respond. I know that I would do the same. Its the right thing to do no matter what the emergency. I would rather respond to a distress call than have to make one. Be safe out there.

Yes that is the law i live bye on the water

Here is my second year take on the Great Lake or big water .

If fishing smaller lakes that I have such as lake George , schroon lake and rivers like the mighty Hudson or muddy Mohawk , it's pretty easy to toss an anchor and wait it out . There are always passer by boaters so I felt comfortable if a mishap happened .

On the Great Lake , sometimes you see boats and sometimes you just see horizon . Given the conditions of high seas and deep water I don't want to rely on another angler for support .

I realized insurance was the cheapest peace of mind I could have out there . Chances are if you call , someone will come be it liability issues .

That said , I myself , wouldn't give a second thought giving or calling for assistance to another fellow boater .

I have often heard the coast guard call for assistance from any boat in the area to help , and they did , until they arrived .

A kicker motor is great although I don't have one mounted ( it's in the basement ) but I feel better spending the $75.00 a year

Rich

I'm not surprised. Out of Sandy guys would rush to your assistance if you used channel 72. I for one never monitor channel 16. Assuming Sodus has a local channel I think you would have received assistance

I do my best to send out a radio check heading out, most of the time someone will reply, good to know your radio is working right, my radio has a built in DSC all set up with Boat US and the Coast Guard just hit the switch and they can find my boat through GPS.I also have Boat US Insurance and they have a Lake O tow service at several areas to respond. Well worth the

piece of mind to have. Good Luck