Off Shore planer board question

This is a general, and to most of you, and novice question...but I'm using OS planer boards with toggle flags.  My front release is a OR 18...back one an OR 16 (I believe).  Which clip should I be having release?  I have the line on the front under the pin so the board won't come off during retrieval.  Then I pop it up to take off the board.  Is this the one I want to stay attached to the board? 

If you're using them so you reel it in like that neither should be releasing until you take it off... if you want it to release and slide back, use the black pin-less clip in the front and a ring on the back, no clip, so it slides when the front one pops loose. I used to do it this way but now prefer to do it like you are now, without releasing.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by hermit

The little tit on the rear release prevents the board from coming free. The rubber holds it in place and when you reel the line in the resistance is a whole

Lot less. If you wait a while the board will fall back behind the transom and not tangle the other boards and their lines, that is if you set the front release to let go of your line. Sometimes you need a rubber band on your braid to effect a release from the front release.

For walleye fishing with tattle flags I use the or18 (snapper release) on The front and the stock or19 (orange release with no pin) on the back. Depending on how hard the lure, weights are pulling depends how deep I put it into the rear release. My goal is to have bigger fish pull the line out of the back release with a little extra pressure but not having to jerk the rod or lock down the drag etc. it's the same as finding a sweet spot in a downrigger release.

For salmon or other hard fighting fish I prefer to not use the tattle flag system and have my or19 mounted to the screw eye on the face of the board with the line buried in the clip not set to release at all. Reason for this is if the fish is strong enough to sink the board, having the rear clip on the front keeps it from diving and keeps the board foam side up.

My way may not work for some but that is one of the advantages to the offshore planet board system, many rigging options for each anglers persona preference.