Hello All,

I took on a big project this year that made me pretty much sacrifice an entire fishing season.  Still, I had to make one venture out because the weather conditions were perfect for my little boat.  First hookup of the day was amazing.  Right when he bit I swore he had a baleen grin.  A couple of years ago I wrote a report here where I described a battle with a 40 inch laker.  This one put that fight to shame.  I must have had him on for about 15 minutes.  When he came up, it wasn't straight up, but swinging way behind the boat.  Right when the dorsal fin broke the surface, the hook popped loose.  I never saw him but for the tail flip when he went back down.  My knees felt rubbery right then.

On the plus side, I always wanted to film myself jigging up a laker.  Tough with my cheap little camera with very limited battery and memory card capacity.  I experienced a little flurry of action, so I put it on a tripod and turned it on.  Recorded a few missed strikes and finally a fish!  i have gotten questions from some of you about jigging over the years.  In the video I talk about how to do it and you can watch what I'm doing, see the tackle I use.  So maybe this will help some of you what always wanted to give it a try!

Great film and very educational... I've wanted to try jigging but have not had a good educational video.. I learned a lot here... my girlfriend says she like hearing you talk haha

That's me, a fishing Barry White.  :)

Thank you Pete for this great video. I'm thinking of using your flasher approach with a sutton to downsize on Keuka. One thing I learned is that you keep your jig on the bottom. I am going to try that more than a vertical retrieve style.

Awesome video! Didn't realize you could jig with a flasher... Can't wait to try your technique. Do you ever use Alewives with your jig setup, either dead or alive? Or just spoons as you demonstrated? Thanks again for video.

Sent from my VS986 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The only time I have used a sawbelly was when I accidentally snagged one.  I thought for sure I could put it on a hook and catch a laker right away.  Didn't work!  There's just no telling what they want some days.

Pete awesome video!   Excellent work!   I've got to try jigging Ontario.  I've also tried jigging alewives (or parts of them!) without much success.  Too much work to try further.

Tg8, it really depends on the day... some days dropping and straight retrieve works best, some days jigging the bottom works best.  Adjust based on what you see on the FF, if the fish are chasing on the fishfinder do the retrieve more but if they won't move more than a few feet keep it on the bottom. 

Interesting...  definitely here some days you can't reel fast enough.  But some days a slow retrieve is better.  My question then is, do they chase at lower speeds?  Or are you getting them only on or near the bottom?  In other words does the straight drop and (slow) retrieve work better some days vs. jigging the bottom for long periods.   If that makes sense.

Alec,

Sometimes the fish do follow partways up.  When they are active they will suspend 10-20 feet off the bottom.  But the majority are belly down and hit close to the bottom.  It's kind of a pity - it feels awesome when they wallop the jig while you are cranking up.  A bottom hit feels like a perch peck - until you set the hook.