Heading out of oak for first time.

Landmarks

To The East

(Distance and longitude are approximate)

Ladders… also known as the white steps… ½ mile east of the harbor (around 11W)

Umbrella Tree…tree on shore that resembles an umbrella… 1 ½ miles east of the harbor (around 09W)

The Ledge… east of the harbor, starting at the ladders, running east for 4 or 5 miles… steep drop-off 50’ to much deeper (thru the years, the adjacent deeper waters has been a prime staging area for fall chinooks)

The Flats… 2 to 4 miles east of harbor, big flats closest to river (around 06W to 07W)

Little Flats and Glass House… a short ways east of big flats with big house on shore with many windows (around 03W to 04W)

Bald Eagle Marina…8 miles east of the Oak (around 01W)

Troutburg… small bay about ½ mile west of Devils Nose (around 78.00W)

Devils Nose… large point a couple miles east of Bald Eagle Marina (dangerous… Big rocks in shallow waters out for several hundred yards)

To The West

(Distance and longitude are approximate)

The Woods…small wooded point, 1 mile west of the harbor (around 12.5W)

The Park… Lakeside Beach State Park, just west of the Pump House (around 14W or 15W)

Johnsons Creek… 3 miles west of the Oak… be careful on shallow spring trolls (around 16W)

The Bluffs… a little further west (around 17W)

Green Harbor… another ½ mile or so further west of Johnsons creek… another shoal in about 8’ of water, about 5 miles west of the Oak (around 18W)

Shadigee Point… about 10 miles west (around 24W)

Chrome Dome… big silver topped silos 2 miles west of Shadigee Point (good area between here and Shadigee point for LOC Spring Derby kings) (around 26W)

Golden Hill… State Park with boat launch, a few miles further west (park located on RT. 18, less pressure on spring kings) (around 28.5 W)

The Power Plant… 20 miles west of the Oak (around 31W)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

North Lat Line Approximate

Depth of Water

23N 50'

24N 100'

25N 250'

26N 300'

27N 400'

28N 450'

29N 500'

30N 550'

31N 575'

32N 600'

33N 610'

34N 605'

35N 600'

36N 590'

37N 560'

You won't need to go much beyond 200 feet of water right now. Unless you target steelhead, but most all the bait and fish sslmon and trout, have been in close mostly 150 to 170 feet of water. Deep...100 or more down. Some are coming from about 80.

Hope this helps!

Edited by skipper19

Seems as though Mark may have fished the area  a few times :lol:  He always has great info and is great about sharing it. :yes:

The Landmarks are Great! I started the topic below a couple weeks ago and got no bites. Thanks a lot Skipper! I think it's very interesting and beckons to a time before GPS. Maybe you won't mind posting the Landmarks on my topic and generate a little interest.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/59590-hot-spot-nicknames-history/?hl=landmarks

Got it!