How do you lift a boat off the trailer for hull work?

Todd in NY

Those are the same jacks I have, that's the only useful thing that came with the shytwreck I bought, thank god they came with I defiantly needed-used them. lol

I've used an automotive lift (at a car dealership) with the long arms. The arm pads fit perfectly under the flat sections of my boat. This week I plan on using 2 fork lifts to do some hull repair. One on the flat section in the back....and one using straps for the front. My boat is a small fiberglass flat bottom and it's easy to handle, though still very heavy.

Just did mine yesterday to repair my trailer. Lower tongue down, block up the rear, lift front high as possible. Then block that. I literally had a hair if the boat in the trailer. So I deleted tires a bit and that's a wrap. Took me 40 min with a cup of coffee in my hand. post-152622-14705763709535_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just did mine yesterday to repair my trailer. Lower tongue down, block up the rear, lift front high as possible. Then block that. I literally had a hair if the boat in the trailer. So I deleted tires a bit and that's a wrap. Took me 40 min with a cup of coffee in my hand. attachicon.gifIMG_20160804_161253252.jpg

Did you use the trailer jack to raise the front end? I just replaced all of my trailer wheel bearings and races yesterday, and new Reese brand bearing buddies. I still need to clean the bottom of my hull, so maybe this week I can make time for that.

• Like 1

I used my tractor's draw bar, but boat jack will work. Literally put the trailer hitch on ground, then block up rear tight . jack front as high as possible then block under the trailer jack and the front of boat. Keep repeating that till your boat isoff the trailer. Then you can paint every where and around blocking. Set the boat back on trailer and touch up where the supports where. Cinder blocks worked good and felt stable. I'm planning on ordering the boat jack stands. Definitely would be faster and safer. Once my boat was off the trailer I actually deflated the tires a bunch and that gave me an extra could inches of clearance. Only pain is when you want the trailer totally out from under the boat. Then you end having to pull troller until axles hit your blocking and work around that.

I used my tractor's draw bar, but boat jack will work. Literally put the trailer hitch on ground, then block up rear tight . jack front as high as possible then block under the trailer jack and the front of boat. Keep repeating that till your boat isoff the trailer. Then you can paint every where and around blocking. Set the boat back on trailer and touch up where the supports where. Cinder blocks worked good and felt stable. I'm planning on ordering the boat jack stands. Definitely would be faster and safer. Once my boat was off the trailer I actually deflated the tires a bunch and that gave me an extra could inches of clearance. Only pain is when you want the trailer totally out from under the boat. Then you end having to pull troller until axles hit your blocking and work around that.

A tractor is something else I would love to have, but it's way out of reach for now. Brownell's has a nice package for removing your trailer without having to re-position the jacks.

• 1 year later...

That is a bad day my friend.  Our New Pump 1 has these rescue 42 stabilizer kit. Work very well for this type of situation. Hopefully no one was hurt. Looks like  Regal sat on the Rams Horns for a 3 count and won.  Better days ahead buddy.

Those Pipes look good., but if you don't have pipes or a welder hanging around, just Bolt a coupe of 2x8's  or 2x10s, 2x12's depending on the wieght load and span (Width of your boat) between two trees and then use a chain fall with a strap to lift your boat. This also works well to put outboard motors on or to replace inboard motors.  Nice thing is you can leave these up in the tree to hang deer or put up a swing for the kids.

If you dont have trees handy you can laminate up a large A Frame Gantry crane using 2x8's . We did this for unloading boats from trucks at a boat shop and it works well and is kinda  Portable as you can put dollys under the legs and roll it around to where you want it. Remove the dolly's or Lock them down. before using it to lift a boat or your boat will roll away.

image.thumb.png.c6c7b8787eb6414778fca4b46e93e4c5.png

Here ya Go, if you want to Bottom Paint your Camper. image.thumb.png.93c63bbc7fbe7072e9ec0071d0de4fdb.png

10 hours ago, LBT1 said:

That is a bad day my friend.  Our New Pump 1 has these rescue 42 stabilizer kit. Work very well for this type of situation. Hopefully no one was hurt. Looks like  Regal sat on the Rams Horns for a 3 count and won.  Better days ahead buddy.

yeah we use the 42's. they work great. Long as you get a good bite they hold anything.