Otisco 7/29

I'd say the troll bite is here finally. Stuggled a couple hours this morning being stubborn and finally switched programs, bumped my speed, and had nice pick for a couple hours. We went 3-4 on eyes, 2 bass, a brown, and a big toothy something stole my prized walleye spoon miss em gave me 3 yrs ago before I could get a look at it. Great morning other than losing the spoon I can't find anywhere....the last 7 times off the dock Ive landed a couple.

Nice job Justin!  Are they still stocking browns? I thought they stopped the program a couple years ago?  I'm going to give the West side of Otisco a try Sunday morning for the first time in at least a month, been fishing Skaneateles the past few weeks but ready for larger fish again now that my tennis (kayakers) elbow is finally getting better.

I used to get at least 1 every winter under tip ups in front of the restaurant but stopped trying for them once they became scarce while spring walleye fishing.  Good to know there are still some going in there.  Footballs are exactly what they look like. My biggest was 24" about 12 years ago but I released it and never weighed it.  I was guessing about 7#?

Glad the bite is getting going and I hear you on being stubborn. Got a tackle box full of lures that haven't had a fair test.

I, too, love the fall but don't want to rush summer away. Come October we all get pulled in lots of directions.

Justin, when you say you bumped the speed up, what is your preferred range? Granted, we contend with current here on the SLR, but I run 1.2 to 1.5 while Kevin is usually below 1. (SOG) . In his boat he'll usually outfish me while in mine I can hold my own. Generally same lures!

I'm curious to see how everyone did out there this morning.  I marked some fish here and there but couldn't get one to bite but did get a nice muskie to hit trolling a big husky jerk on my way back to the causeway but lost it in a mat of weeds he got himself into.  At least I got to feel a couple powerful runs on the trolling rod before I had to pack it in.

My boat did 3 eyes....

Prof t

My range for walleye is 2 - 3 GPS speed. The more they wanna bite the slower I go....when they arent biting I go for a reaction bite and keep increasing till I get them to react. 2.2 to 2.6 is where I usually end up if I'm strictly after eyes. Go faster and odds off dealing with muskies goes up dramatically.

On a side note we got our outside board hit by a ski boat and the skier narrowly avoided a high speed encounter with 40 lb braid....I was trolling tight and the ski boat shouldn't even have been on plane that close....and had an entire lake to use to overtake me and pass...we need mandatory boater education for EVERYONE desperately. I have to take it every 2 years....the average boater is clueless

Sorry to hear of the encounter. There is certainly no shortage of  clueless idiots here as well. Getting so I'm fishing earlier and earlier rather than the evening bite for the same reason.

This morning and Saturday morning were smoking...landed 11, was able to release a 30, a couple in the mid 20's, and a couple shorts. Did have to keep another big fish that was hooked bad and took a long time to get out of the net.  

post-156305-0-65068900-1470062976_thumb.jpg

Man that's awesome Proff T, that's a awesome day in anyone's book let alone just a few hrs. By no means are those fish anything to sneeze at. Congrats to a banner morning!! PAP.