Small lakes trolling setup

This setup will never see kings or any salmon besides landlocked Atlantic in a couple lakes. I've got 200' of mono backer and 600' of spectra braid on them. When I get a boat for the big lake the rods will definitely not be getting these little okuma reels. I believe I can replace the drag washes on a 15 with carbon anyways. I don't need that much drag since I'm fishing with an 8# leader.

Side note I still can't find a position I like the rod holders in. Tried a board across the oar locks. Tried it across the back. Had 2 rod holders mounted adjacent to the back seat on the gunnels. Haven't liked any of them. Too damn small of a boat. I wanted to run 2 trolling rods and a downrigger but it just seems to be too much.

:lol:  My mistake really I forgot we were talking  smaller lakes for one thing. My mind (what little there is left) has been on Lake O lately....think I may have something called "King on the brain" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

They were at a runnings. The older dx model not the newer dxt-t that replaced it. I got a newer one too and I hate where the reset for the line counter is. I tripped it many times yesterday and took that one off today to return it. That one the ones spot on the counter around keep rolling around but never would click over the tens slot.

Here's the layout I've decided I'm using at the moment. I don't use the back seat because it's too far back. I sit on the plastic bench in front of it facing the side. I tried a board across the back with everything mounted but couldn't get comfortable and put around with the motor. I also tried the board in front of me but the line counters were hard to read. I did have the one rid holder bolted where the downrigger was but I needed someplace for the downrigger to mount. I need a bigger little boat. Something wider and deeper.

KIMG0264.jpg

If you are considering running dipseys in those Fish On rod holders put safety lines on them. You'll see why quite soon.  I'd look for some metal Down East holders instead. I would imagine someone one here has some they would consider parting with. They would be a much better inexpensive solution I think.  The plastic ones bend and pop open and just don't have the necessary strength.

Edited by Sk8man

I usually fish small dipsy divers and pretty slow. These holders have trolled divers for years without issue. I also don't have kings hitting them. Eventually I may go with the ones that are just angled tube you drill a hole for. I always run safety lines on the holders though because I don't like to lock them in. I'll probably put down east in my bigger boat but this ones getting very little invested in it.

Well I have a bigger boat that's getting a smaller motor. My 18' queen merrie had a 1959 mercury mark 78a 70hp dockbuster on it. No neutral sucks. And just a general pita. Hopefully in the spring she'll be getting a late 60s bearcat 55 4 stroke all rebuilt and ready to go. Should be able to even troll with that. I've got a friend that says his will do 1.4mph on a 16' whaler.