Small lakes trolling setup

Also you wont need snubbers on a small lake. Nothing there is going to slam a dipsy like a king. Run about 10-15 ft of 30lb fluorocarbon between wire and dipsy for a little shock absorbing capability and protects wire if you break down the poles when not in use.

Cool setup on the Lily :)  It reminds me of my old 13 ft Whaler setup. I even had 15 ft outriggers and telescoping boom electric Cannons on it and during derbies on Lake O a lot of folks would come close to take pics of it :lol:

craveman85 - Just another cool one about that 13 ft Whaler....I used it heavily for 22 years and ended up selling it for $350 more than I paid for it :lol:  Probably should have kept it for winter fishing great little safe boat.

I had a 15' till a flood 3 years ago. If it had been a lesser boat it would have filled with water and sat there. Never saw it again. I checked nearly every marina down to Albany but no sign. The hull id is reported as lost/stolen so hopefully someone fixes the seats ava tries to register it :)

I would go leadcore. I fished Keuka lake in a 16 foot 1957 Herters boat, trolling 2 leadcore rods with 10 colors at 1.7 mph. the rods I used were 10 footer eagle claw downrigger rods trolling live bait. The live bait removes the need for a minimum speed while the 10 footers keep the lines well apart. Speeding up and slowing down will make you reach a hundred foot down. Good luck

I previously picked up a 4 stroke 9.9 merc long shaft. Intention was to run a Jack plate on this boat and use it on this and my bigger boat as a kicker. A Jack plate is going to put me in a very uncomfortable position. I tried it just mounting it normal but didn't like how the boat handled and it gets very close in a few places to the bottom. I picked up a seized 99 5hp Johnson last night for 100$ with some other stuff. Had been stored improperly and wouldn't turn this year. A little atf overnight and a tap on the piston with a rubber mallet got it moving again. Cleaned the water pump and fuel system out good, put the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner and I have a beautifully running 5hp short shaft. No rust damage to the cylinder walls or anything. Cleaned right up with a scotch brite. Still has cross hatch from honing. 140 psi on my tester. Can't wait to get it out on the lake.

I previously picked up a 4 stroke 9.9 merc long shaft. Intention was to run a Jack plate on this boat and use it on this and my bigger boat as a kicker. A Jack plate is going to put me in a very uncomfortable position. I tried it just mounting it normal but didn't like how the boat handled and it gets very close in a few places to the bottom. I picked up a seized 99 5hp Johnson last night for 100$ with some other stuff. Had been stored improperly and wouldn't turn this year. A little atf overnight and a tap on the piston with a rubber mallet got it moving again. Cleaned the water pump and fuel system out good, put the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner and I have a beautifully running 5hp short shaft. No rust damage to the cylinder walls or anything. Cleaned right up with a scotch brite. Still has cross hatch from honing. 140 psi on my tester. Can't wait to get it out on the lake.

Congrats, can't beat that!

When you jig what are you using for lures? Is there a general technique to jigging? I may be Doing it wrong. How deep are these fish you're jigging?

Is there a best way to set up rod holders for dipsy rods? Straight off the side? Upright? Angled down? I may mount all my gear on the rear seat. It's too far back for me so I put a small bench I made in front of the seat. My arms are too long and I weigh too much to sit that far back.

We didn't go my buddy had to take is grandkids to a little league game. I made the mistake of going to town this morning, what a mess of traffic. I jig with the one ounce jig with a tube, a lot of people use paddle tail. See earlier on in this post for ideas, good post here .....jk

Picked up 3 more trolling combos last night. The rods are 9.5' daiwa wilderness dipsy/downrigger rods. Got 3 clearance magda 15dx reels for 28.99 each. Is there anything special to running wire besides the tip? If I can i may grab a few more for wire. I might take this boat in cayuga when we go to see the woman's niece at college.

Just a suggestion before buying any more of the 15DX's.  They may be a little light duty for what you intend. They have limited line capacity and you are going to be dealing with 1,000 ft of wire. Most importantly of all they have only a 15 lb drag capacity pretty minimal for kings and I also wonder about the line guide mechanism with the SS wire. The larger 45DX has a different mechanism which is hardened. Sometimes the plain stainless or brass covered with a chromed coating is softer than the stainless wire and the wire will cut through it. This is also true ofthe cheaper roller tips on rods that have aluminum side plates with SS rollers by the way.  The model 45 DX has an 18 lb carbon drag iand is much better suited to your purpose as far as running wire. the 15's would probably make better downrigger reels. Additionally the 15's have paddle type handles and you really want the standard single ones and especially power handles if you can.