Biggest Laker I've ever caught

I don't care for or fish for lakers . This one hit cut bait down 90 over 150 . I put it back and it swam down out of sight . I couldn't weigh it because I robbed the battery out of my scale for the temp probe . But it was well over 20 lbs. We also caught 2 Kings over 20 and 2 skippys  . Kept one 5 lb for the grill . All others released

post-139878-0-88292700-1469974943_thumb.jpg

Edited by chinook35

Good size laker. There seems to be a 5:1 ratio of Lakers to salmon just south of the trench, and that's when we're fishing for salmon. We're catching Lakers on dipsy rods, can't seem to get away from the Lakers lately.

Things are changing for sure lakers all through the temp range. No longer bottom oriented temp at 90 where it hit was 50. The king stocking needs to increase or it will be a lake trout fishery in a few years

I heard from a captain about an article that the fish feds want to eliminate the salmon, say they are an invasive species. (Really).Can't remember where the article came from, but may be able to find it with some patient searching. It was concerning one of the other Great lakes, maybe Michigan, but extending it to the other lakes was mentioned. Seems they want to push the lake trout for some reason. If true, we all need to raise some hell. 

Trust me please don't release Lakers, I never wanted to take up spots in my limit for Lakers in the past.  

The catches on Lake Michigan are basically multiple age classes of Lake Trout nowadays, this year we have some very nice 3 and 4 year old Kings.  5-8 Kings is an outstanding trip this summer here, honestly 1-3 Kings is average at best.  I caught 4 different age classes of Laker's Saturday in Michigan.  It's a shame what has happened to Lake Michigan, overstocking of King's, cold winters and the constant onslaught of stocking MILLIONS of Lake Trout!!!  This should of never happened, we had a previous lesson with Lake Huron when they underestimated the numbers of "wild" kings, overstocking of walleye in the Alewife nursery "Saginaw Bay", millions of Alewife gourging Lake Trout.  This Native only kick many are on here in Michigan is crazy, absolutely mind numbing.

In light of that, I will be hopefully coming to Lake Ontario soon!!!  Hope to get a trip together and try a New York port, I will keep looking at reports and try to get some ideas.

Trust me please don't release Lakers, I never wanted to take up spots in my limit for Lakers in the past.  

The catches on Lake Michigan are basically multiple age classes of Lake Trout nowadays, this year we have some very nice 3 and 4 year old Kings.  5-8 Kings is an outstanding trip this summer here, honestly 1-3 Kings is average at best.  I caught 4 different age classes of Laker's Saturday in Michigan.  It's a shame what has happened to Lake Michigan, overstocking of King's, cold winters and the constant onslaught of stocking MILLIONS of Lake Trout!!!  This should of never happened, we had a previous lesson with Lake Huron when they underestimated the numbers of "wild" kings, overstocking of walleye in the Alewife nursery "Saginaw Bay", millions of Alewife gourging Lake Trout.  This Native only kick many are on here in Michigan is crazy, absolutely mind numbing.

In light of that, I will be hopefully coming to Lake Ontario soon!!!  Hope to get a trip together and try a New York port, I will keep looking at reports and try to get some ideas.

Also, check out the Consumption advisories for Lake Trout.

Here in Michigan some areas protect the "good" eating Lake Trout with Slot limits.  

Really makes you wonder why we would want to stock fish that grow old (30+years) and consume more Ale's than any other fish.