Dumb question of the week- lead core

i have 7 color on my rods and backing. When I let it out, I allow all lead to go and then about 50 foot of backing....good success. Now I'm thinking of getting 10 colors. But not new rods and reels. Just taking off old lead.

So, the question is....If I only want to use 6 or 7 or 8 colors out of the 10, can I? Told you it's probably a dumb question. But I was under the impression I needed to send backing out to allow the lead to get down. Suggestions?

You can do it as you are suggesting but keep in mind that you will be changing the arc  or angle of the line in the water too so that it will not be as horizontal in the water column and this will affect the depth it is running as well (shallower than intended). When the backing is extended as well the lead core lies flatter in the horizontal plane as well as achieving greater depth. The action of the line and lure may be different in the water column as well. Running the 10 colors  I'm assuming you wish greater depth vs. the 7 but this wouldn't be the way to "maximize" that.

Edited by Sk8man

You can make it work the right way if you put 30 or 40 feet of mono between the different colors. That way you will always have mono in your guides and down to the water.

It's worked for me and it saves space because you don't have to bring another three or four rods for each side of the boat.

Edited by rolmops

I was running a seth green off a rod with the lead in the eyes and after a couple hours( fish weren't biting) the top eye wore through the outer coating. Luckily I just happen to start pulling it in and noticed it. I would have a roller on the tip or possibly a twili tip for safe measure.