Lake Rollover

Still 73 surface at the fence north of Rochester on the buoy station reading

Burn some gas north and look for the break and color...move more to easterly ports like Oak or sandy. Beyond 450 fow would be my bet...but I loose sometimes..it's only a nice boat ride in that case..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

I do not understand what is meant by the lake turning over, and such. Can someone who has knowledge of this please explain it, and what is different than what we have had over the last month (July).  Thank You.

I do not understand what is meant by the lake turning over, and such. Can someone who has knowledge of this please explain it, and what is different than what we have had over the last month (July). Thank You.

Cold water is heavier than warm water. When the wind blows hard enough and long enough from the east or north east it "slides" the warm water inside and to the west. When all the warm water is gone the wind pushes the denser cold water in the same direction. Because it is so much heavier than the warm water the cold water bull dozes the warm water to the west and around the western end of the lake. Quite literally, the warm water you were fishing in off Rochester last week will probably have done a full circle around the lake by tomorrow.

Believe it or not, upwellings are good for the lake. They redistribute oxygen and nutrients and bait fish. Kind of like rebooting your computer.

However, for those of us that are fishing everyday and have been spoiled with half mile runs all summer.....it sucks! I went to the 30 line out of the Oak this afternoon. First time in two years!!!

Edited by Paul Czarnecki

The temps are messed up right now because of the wind but you don't ever want to rely totally on water temps....the big boys are often found out of their temp range.

So if I understand this correctly...

Warm water-no good

Cold water-Good

So the west end of the lake should be slow fishing for the next day or two?

No one said that---ever. If you must make it so black and white try this--

Stable water........ good

Unstable water.....not as good.

Btw we had tremendous fishing out of the oak yesterday.

Edited by Paul Czarnecki