Hats off to the Captains who are finding adult Salmon in our area. Seems to be an abudance of slab Lakers, we have boated 5 over 20#s and to many to count over 13#s. Skippys keep coming, usually 2 each trip. One nice Steelhead this season and around 10 Browns, one pictured with my Grandson over 10#s. Try as we might, only one median size King. Pulls at the heart reading of theee4863c1815face35e7830a033f579dc.jpg success South of us that started as early as May. Seems the state has decided to cut stocking this end of the lake in any numbers. Those of us who were around in the late 80s, early 90s, will remember a much better King fishery.

Sent from my VS986 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Like I said on another thread if the fish aren't there you can't catch them. Back in the eighties and nineties they used to stock the Black River and we'd have a pile of fish in the trench by now and even over into Sackets Harbor if the temps were right. For some god-forsaken reason they decided that a few Atlantic salmon we're more important than a salmon fishery in the Black River. Basic math 1.8 million this year two between 5 and 8 million in the past equals piss poor fishing. Yes they do get them well south of us but because of the fact we have no fish stock on this end of the lake and because nobody can come to understanding to Penn rear or some fish maybe in Henderson Harbor or Black River would be a great asset. But too much bickering

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

The salmon migrate from the west! Some years it's is good out here in July. But more often this time of year there is usually always a lull in the salmon action until the major pack shows up. Yes they don't stock as many salmon here. Just things haven't come together in July for the salmon to really show up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They still stock the black....second largest planting besides the salmon........they are right off the finger.....guys just dont burn fuel and want to sit at the entrance to the trench

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by underthefloat

They still stock the black....second largest planting besides the salmon........they aren't that far south of the finger.....guys just dont burn fuel

How far south? Where would be the closest boat ramp to be in the right area?  

Back in the early 80's they also used to stock the Perch River also, we owned property there for 15 years and at the end of the perch in late October to mid November you could litterly walk across them, they also staged in the trench before their journey towards the Black & the Perch, so ya there was a shyt load more salmon back then, with much heavier weights to them than now!! Now there's not a salmon up there anymore. I think once they lowered the height of the bridge they shot themselves in the foot, they did this to keep the bigger boats out because the locals that lived along the river got greedy with the fish. Dad bought a 18ft center console and we needed to remove the windshield and the bar that held the windshield so we could fit under the bridge. After that dad sold the place for the simple reason our boat with high water contained us to the river. Our land was way to steep to launch our boat, so we asked the neighbors down the lane if we could load our boat and that was the last time I was on the Perch River.

You can come out of henderson they are right at the end of the finger.....i fished lakers yesterday because i had a little guy. Saw kings right there at the end of the finger while fishing slimers

I'll be there in a week or so if winds cooperates. 

How far south? Where would be the closest boat ramp to be in the right area?

I use the Stony Creek launch. It's a shorter run than Henderson or Sackets (about 1/2 the distance). Depends on creek level and draft. Went though last week with my 1802 trophy without issue.