fishing Sodus Point tomorrow any updated info?

A buddy from South Carolina is visiting (very knowledgeable salt water guy) and I was wondering if  anyone has a good handle of what is going on right now out of there. I'm also wondering about the condition of the public launch. any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Sk8man

Les, I think the lake will reshuffle and look more like the lake before the roll over by the time the weekend comes.  I think the A-tom-mik event is this weekend so you should have some large vessels on the horizon to give you an idea where the fish are.

Thanks guys much appreciated. He has never experienced a king and got me into great fishing for sea trout and redfish in SC last Fall so I'm hoping to nail something in the way of a king to initiate him :lol: .

Supposed to be 5-10 out of N NE so hoping that is allit gets to from that direction :)

Thanks guys much appreciated. He has never experienced a king and got me into great fishing for sea trout and redfish in SC last Fall so I'm hoping to nail something in the way of a king to initiate him :lol: .

Supposed to be 5-10 out of N NE so hoping that is allit gets to from that direction :)

Really getting sick of these east winds. Just when you think everything is setting up along comes those damn east winds to screw everything up. Didn't even bother to go out this weekend since east winds blew for about 3 days. From what I heard today I didn't miss anything either.

fished out of p ville today  temp is only down 25 feet or so, wouldnt be suprised to see  it flip with another day of east wind!   good luck,  fish are there!  

Edited by machzrcr

Really getting sick of these east winds. Just when you think everything is setting up along comes those damn east winds to screw everything up. Didn't even bother to go out this weekend since east winds blew for about 3 days. From what I heard today I didn't miss anything either.

I hear ya Mikey, last May when we were there for the week, got an east wind almost everyday, NE-SE-E but did manage to catch fish everyday although the browns were on the small side. Will be back out the 1st week of Sept. maybe we can fish together if you are up.

A buddy from South Carolina is visiting (very knowledgeable salt water guy) and I was wondering if  anyone has a good handle of what is going on right now out of there. I'm also wondering about the condition of the public launch. any info would be appreciated.

How did you make out Les?

I was too beat to post last night once we came back from dinner. 

Rather disappointing results but we had fun. We got set up abut 5:30 AM and took temp readings down to 100 ft. It was 72 on the surface and 52 degrees at 25 ft. and at about 70 it went to 41 degrees so really messed up water temps and NE wind which changed back and forth with North and 3-4 ft waves so we decided to say screw the water temps lets look for fish and bait and try a diagonal north west from the channel and cover a large area of the water column with different setups looking for something to happen. We had 2 riggers with sliders, 2 wires wione with spinney and fly and one with Echip flasher and fly and a 300 copper with spoon and a top line on board with small dipsey and spoon and later a J-plug. We reached 178 and the 300 copper with a purple Revolution spoon started screaming line and I knew I had cranked down the drag a bit  so I knew from the sound and the fact that it made three runs of over a hundred ft it was a good mature but he came unzipped after the third run. We continued trolling and at 203 ft. we had one on the wire rig with spinney and one of my home made green flies set at 250 and it turned out to be a small king about 3-4 lbs or so and we released him unharmed and he took off like a bullet. About 5 minuted later the downrigger set at 40 ft with a slider  as well fired and fish on  but about halfway in he got off....and no slider present....swivel opened up.  We kept trolling out to 140 or so and nothing on screen so we went back in to the 170-200 range looking.....never saw another thing on the screen and no hits so we retraced our path backwards to the exact location of where we hooked up with the other fish and again nothing. The wind became due north with 5 footers so although temped to go real deep we didn't feel like getting beat up so we figured we'd instead  try in shallower to see what happened and not fight the wind. bad call on my part....we trolled until 6 PM within the 60 ft to 160 and never saw bait during the whole day and only saw one fish at 30 ft and nothing in the way of action. Should have gone deep I think but there were a couple of boats in the AM that went out and came back in so I figured things weren't great out there either. Virtually no fleas on the wire or See Flee lines. No debris lines to fish. When we came back into the channel we saw a bunch of gulls in a circle suggesting there may have been some bait in there  but we were done and didn't check it out. The flies were biting right through my buddys thick socks but as usual I wore long pants that covered the sock area so I didn't have any problems but they were all over the boat once the sun and heat  were present. I forgot to mention. We also fished straight out from the channel before quitting in 90-150 range as I  nearly always find lakers out there and thought we might try them but we spotted absolutely nothing there and usually they are hanging on the bottom at least.

Edited by Sk8man

Cool Les!..I sent ya pm earlier wondering how it turned out. Guess that answers it!..good try despite challenging conditions..I know that area was changing hard with temp gradient really tight inside. Current was probably ripping west. Usually really tough to get programs running right in those conditions. Glad he was able to experience at least a little drag burn!

Mark

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Mark and for mentioning about the current. The current was unreal and as Mark said going west and each time going with it the lines would go totally slack and then almost straight back going against it and GPS speed meant nothing :lol:

Fished from P'Ville this AM from 7-11:30.  Lake was flat.  Fished 75-110 FOW.  Temp 64 on top, 50 down 30, 42 down 55.  Landed 5 small kings from skippers to 6-7#.  Lost one big one.  Most fish came on 10 color with Moonshine Shelly Snack.  Riggers down 55 with Seasick Waddler took some.  Marked an occasional fish, no bait.

Thanks and very true Jeff.....part of the addiction :lol: also another indicator oof how effective the Revolution spoons are too because that was the only one the big boy hit :)

Edited by Sk8man

Too much talk about temperature. They are completely over-rated, We have been catching kings in 68 to 70 degree water before the east winds came in. The 10 color lead core was hot and most of the time it was running in the 70 degree water. We stopped focusing on the temps and just fished the marks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app