Lac La Martre

Went on a trip last week to Lake La Martre for 6 days of fishing lakers and northern pike. I was a bit leery as to wether lakers and pike would hold my interest for 6 days, but by the 2nd day, I was sold. By the last day , I didnt want to leave.

LLM is in the Canadian NWT, between Great Slave and Great Bear lake. You float plane in from Yellowknife. The lodge itself is located on a small island in the middle of the lake. They only have 7 cabins so they take a max of 14 clients every 6 days, mid June to mid September. The staff goes out there way to make you feel welcome, everbody knows your name. They are the only lodge on the 1,000 sq mile lake. If anyone has ever considered going there, I rate it 2 thumbs up.post-156284-0-93189800-1470096479_thumb.jpg

I was gonna add more pics, but they all seem to come out upside down. If I figure it out, I'll post more.

Went on a trip last week to Lake La Martre for 6 days of fishing lakers and northern pike. I was a bit leery as to wether lakers and pike would hold my interest for 6 days, but by the 2nd day, I was sold. By the last day , I didnt want to leave.

LLM is in the Canadian NWT, between Great Slave and Great Bear lake. You float plane in from Yellowknife. The lodge itself is located on a small island in the middle of the lake. They only have 7 cabins so they take a max of 14 clients every 6 days, mid June to mid September. The staff goes out there way to make you feel welcome, everbody knows your name. They are the only lodge on the 1,000 sq mile lake. If anyone has ever considered going there, I rate it 2 thumbs up.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was gonna add more pics, but they all seem to come out upside down. If I figure it out, I'll post more.

35ab257b58427772debf0a6acab0517c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice pics and report. What were the pike hitting?

In the shallow, rocky areas with sparse weeds, 1 oz Mepps Cyclops spoons ( firetiger and orange) were the hot setup, followed by Mepps #5 spinners black/ chartruese.

When we got to deeper, weedy areas, I put on a 8" chartruese hologram twister tail grub w/ 3/4 oz weedless jig head and the pike just murdered it. I only had a 5 pack so it only lasted 2 1/2 days. I had white red head ones too, but they werent as interested in them.

I dont target pike around here, only catch the occasional small one. Sometimes I would read or hear that pike dont fight. Well, these ones did. I had my drag set pretty tight and they would have the drag screaming. Lot of fun.

First of all, my guide was a 23 yr old kid who was wise and knowledgeable beyond his years. The kid put me on fish and acted like a true professional the whole time. On my last day there, I told him I had a setup I wanted to try. I tied together two 5oz banana trolling weights and he threw on about an 8ft leader to the plopper. We sent it down and caught about 5 fish with it.He was shaking his head and laughing alot.65ff9f2b80d6c5c425e6c7340a094157.jpg

This picture shows the 4 main lures used to get the Lakers. ( the believer is 10 inch)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app