I am considering getting into big water fishing lookin for info.

Hey Guys new to forum seemes like the right one to join for Lake O.

Well first off I am considering getting into Lake O Trolling for salmon and trout done all kinds of other fishing throughout my life but never any rigger or board fishing some dipsy diver fishing.

Boat I am considering on buying will be a 91-95 starcraft islander 19' with the 3.0 likely at this point will not be this season.

Whats your opinions on this rig for lake O I would still wanna use it on the bay of quinte as well.

What are some things to know and have on board the boat besides the legal requirments how much waves too much for this boat and where do you guys look for weather and wave reports before heading out?

Not looking for anyones spots or anything just general what to have what to look out for etc on big water.

Starcraft has not made the islander for quite a few years. The layout is great for open water trolling. The 3.0 will not be a power house but with the correct prop should be fine for 3-5 people but but speeds will probably be 30ish if propped for a heavy load. I had a sylvan skipper that was a very similar boat that I fished Lake Erie and Lake Ontario with for quite a few years.

With any used boat, condition is EVERYTHING! Any aluminum boat that has been run too hard could very possibly have loose or missing rivets, or cracked welds depending on brand. If not cover and or stored properly rotten transom and or soft floors are very possible. Even with low hours the boat could be in major need of repairs from neglect and or abuse.

One other thing to be careful of is the lower unit, I wouldn't consider an omc, mercruiser or Volvo penta only. Lower units need to have bellows and gears checked. A bad bellows can sink a boat and bad gears could possibly cost more to have replaced than the value of the boat.

If your not super familiar with boats I would suggest taking someone with you that is or paying for a marine survey. May sound over the top but I've been around boats my whole life and seen plenty of boats that were nightmares for the new owner that could have been avoided.

Edited by papascott

Thanks I have been told there not powerhouses but the 3.0 shouldnt be underpowered on that light boat?

I likely wouldnt fish in bad bad waves anyway certainly not till i get some experience how bad is too bad for most of you I guess it varies depending on experience your own comfort and the rig you own.

Also told they were a lil rougher on you being a light aluminum boat but heard mostly good things for them for trolling setups

I have owned a 89 221 islander 4.3 for 3 years now . 2 of them have been docked on the Great Lake Ontario . My eyes were bigger then my head when I bought the boat . I found out the things that were not so important on smaller put in take out places needed to be addressed on a Great Lake or any long term dockage . That said , I have found after owning many glass boats they are the most easily maintained . Granted rivets are a whole animal if problems happen but aside , everything on that boat is basically pretty simple do it yourself and can be fixed .

As for the fish ability and conditions .

1. The 221 fishes 3 perfect . The 4 th man works fine , it's all about how you lay out gear , coolers and grill . Yes we fish , cook , swim and sleep on that boat .

2. Sleeping , I stay 2 adults always almost every weekend . If you don't plan on sleeping on the boat then find a use for storage in cabin .

3. We consider 3-4' waves the norm on the Great Lake . 4 footers plus then it starts to become not as much fun as attention needs to be taken on everything . My boat has been on 6 footers and I have felt safe .

My only complaint s

1. Wife wants bigger cabin with walk in .

2. I want bigger (30') more wider , heavier and space in the back .

I am happy with my islander and would not resent my purchase a bad one

Good luck .

Edited by Rich s

I had a 22 Sylvan with the 3.0 for 8 seasons.  It was a great boat, top speed low 30's, fish all day on minimal fuel.  Could be towed by an S10 at the time.  Great on both lakes. Would take much lake as I wanted to take.  The Islander would be the same, I looked at those as well.

Ya I like the looks of the starcraft islander I think the 19' 3.0 would be all I need and cost effiecient with fuel to run light to tow with truck.

I would definetly take someone and give it a real good look over before purchasing one hate to end up with a huge headache right away fixing everything they cost money no matter what gotta pay to play but defibtl ywouldnt wanna get into motor problems and bad gears.

Angler you might want to look for a kicker motor. It is nice to have for trolling but even better if your main motor has a problem. There are so many things to spend $$$ on with this sport.

Rich S is spot on with the comfort of fishing. I have a 1992 221 islander with the 4.3l in it. I have been in some pretty rough water with it and always felt safe as well. U just need to pay attention. Aluminum has its advantages and disadvantages. It trailers easy and is good on gas. But the wind catches it like a sail and you tend to ride over waves rather than thru them.

One thing I added this season and would recommend to everyone is boat us insurance .

It's a very cheap $75.00 piece of mind that runs year to year when you sign on .

We had our outdrive break on the last trip of the season last year . Thankfully is right at the dock . The day prior we were out in 4 plus seas and even a kicker would have been difficult .