Lightening Fiberglass vs Aluminum

Is not the boat so mich, but the rods! Graphite is a conductor, so is wire especially copper!

Of course not safe in any electric storm in anything, but I have had really weird experiences with graphite rods...very scary, even when no thunder lightning any where yet...just big black cloud!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As I understand it, it does not matter if your vessel is wood, aluminum, fiberglass, steel, or plastic.... The danger of lightning on the water is meaningful. Lightning does not discriminate when it comes to boat makes and types. The only fool proof way to mitigate the risk of a strike is by getting to port and off your boat as soon as possible. Here is some info I found on google.

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/lightning.htm

I had a spooky encounter on Georgian Bay when I was in my 20's. A storm was moving in and you could just feel the electricity in the air all of a sudden. I was standing on the bow of my boat working the trolling motor, looking for another spot to flip. I noticed 2-3 small blue lines come from my rod tip...looked like mini lightening bolts. Dropped the rod right away and bailed! Storm moved in so fast it caught me off guard. Never did rain, thunder or lightening...just very dark clouds.

I had a spooky encounter on Georgian Bay when I was in my 20's. A storm was moving in and you could just feel the electricity in the air all of a sudden. I was standing on the bow of my boat working the trolling motor, looking for another spot to flip. I noticed 2-3 small blue lines come from my rod tip...looked like mini lightening bolts. Dropped the rod right away and bailed! Storm moved in so fast it caught me off guard. Never did rain, thunder or lightening...just very dark clouds.

Been there....st elmos fire. Happened to me once in Quebec on the Baskatong. My buddy also watched his monofilament line hovering o er the water in an arc and pulling!...had a 3.5 ounce KO Wobbler spoon on the other end cast out 150 feet. Lure went in the water...line went straight up.

One other time on Canadarago Lake in Otsego county. Black cloud, no rain, no thunder, quietly drifting walleyes no power. Wind blew suddenly in circles and buzzy noise from behind me started.

What in hell?...looking around as now it really sounded electronic with a snapping then building buzz snap buzz snap! My rods standing in holders next to the console were arcing blue sparks to the metal hand rail 2 inches!

Quickly grabbed them...got bit real hard...and ordered the wife and kids on the deck..Lay down!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished Lake Winnepesaukee one year, trolling live bait during their derby.  We fed out 2 lines 150 back.....the line, the bait...the whole thing was out of the water in a big arc going UP.   Was also able to get a little arc of blue putting my finger close to the hook holder above the grip.   No lightning strikes but boy it was funky and storms were in the area.

Yes.... That is known as the Faraday cage effect..... The bimini in that case would be most effective in an aluminum or metal boat..... Dissipating the single bolt of electric charge and redirecting the lightning and then helping it find ground- from the stainless bimini supports thru the hull to the water. In theory it should work. The heat produced may still harm you though even if it worked as it was supposed to.

Back in the early 60's my boat had a grounding plate under the hull that was connected to the antennae and the ship to shore radio which was the size of a small chest freezer and full of tubes. I cant remember if other wiring was connected or not but have often wondered why I don't see grounding plates anymore. maybe I just not looking in the right place