OK I have two downriggers. Two guys in the boat. What do you run? Stack the riggers with four rods? Three on the riggers? Or two on riggers and two on dipsy? Or what????

Same question with three guys in the boat...........???

I used to run 4 on the riggers and one dipsy back in the early 90's when I fished there. Partly because that was all I had for gear, lol. Looking to optimize my time OTW with fuel prices like they are. Any help is appr..

Thanks,

Spike

safe to assume king fishing?

2- downriggers (1 with a cheater 10-15' above the ball and the other deep w/ a free slider) and 2 wire dipsey rods. 4 rods but with 6 lures covering alot of water.

2 on the riggers + 2 sliders, then 2 wire dipseys. 3 in the boat= 2 on the riggers + 2 stackers, 2 dipseys, or else you could go 2 on the riggers + 2 sliders, 2 wire dipseys on each side at 2 & 3 settings.

ive been raised on stackers they are not any extra effort and they are a great tool for zeroing in on fish depth.many many times ill put one in king temp and one in steelie temp with great results,use em for muped rigs,ive had quads on the riggers more times than i can count so dont rule them out to fast..Ray K.

2 anglers = 2 DRs cheated (fixed or sliding) and 2 wire dipsies

3 anglers = 2 DRs cheated (fixed or sliding) and

-2 wire dipsies and 2 copper or lead off planers or

-4 wire dipsies or

-2 wire dipsies and a thumper and a copper or lead of off a planer

On your sliders or fixed - do you stagger the length off the mainline on the slider- is there ratio of mainline length to slider length of the rigger cable if its fixed?? In oteh words .. isf your mainline is out 40 ft do you rund the free lsider 20 feet ?? Or is it more art then science?

Ray, you mention covering diff temp .. are you then runnign a fixed so you knwo the depth?? i thought i recall in older threads you like the free slider - if so how do you knwo the depth if it free slidding??

thanks for the help and thougths ..

i cover difftemp with "stackers" a stacker set up is put one rod off the ball and drop rigger 15 or 20 ft and add a Stacker (a device so you can attach another rod with a release and fasten it to your rigger cable ,then drop both lines to desired depth.lets say i use the 20 ft seperation on 2 riggers 4 rods drop 1 side to say 70 ft now i have a spoon at 70ft and 50 ft ,drop other rigger to 80 ft now that rigger has spoons at 80ft and60 ft so basicly with 2 riggers i have 50,60,70,80ft covered then throw on free sliders on top rod only and you have approx 1/2 the difference from the boat to the top release so ya got a free slider approx 25ish and 30 ish down.dem fish ant got a chance . afree slider sorta drops to the bow in the attached line about 1/2 way down that is a sorta guess and shoot from the hip depth,word of advise the slider is ok on the finger lakes and early season fishing the big pond but when you start going for the big boys put the sliders away or youll have mega tangles aor loose the whole rig.specially when the fleas come out to play.

Geez Ray, have you tried a seine net? I bet you fish at fish ladders also :lol:

Yankee:

Cheaters limit the length of your leader. The cheater slides down the line when a fish hits until it stops on something, usually the swivel of your main spoon. Your leader length is set by your ability to net a fish (distance from rod tip to net in the water).

Ray, OMG :shock: I printed off your reply and will review it in year ot two after I get over the fear of having more then 4 rods in the water and making a turn :? .

I'm interested in the slidders since I expect to do much of my fishing with only myself and one other person in the baot --- I've picked up other threads around using rubber bands to fix them a depth --

Jeykll - thank I completly forgot about the swivill I will be runnign and the the minor fact I need to land the fish :$ !!

This is all academic to me - when Im ont he water reality will hit - and so will the tangles and mishaps :x !!

thanks for the info guys i do apprecaite it and hope someday i can repay the favore..

I agree with Ray..... been stacking riggers since day one and on some days, it's the hot ticket.. My go to stack is a spoon 30' back on the bottom with a flasher/fly or Evil Eye high speed dodger/squid 10' above and 10' back. Some times I run 2 dodgers with a 000 on bottom and a 0 on top like a giant mupp rig.

Just my $.02

I run my cheaters 10' above the ball fixed. I stager the riggers 5' so you are covering a good chunk of the water colum. If there are fish out of temp (above or below) I will deploy a 3rd rigger. Some days, I will stack the riggers and then cheat the top rod. This has taken some really nice browns over the past couple of years. The 13lb. 13 oz. Brown I placed with last Summer LOC, came off of the cheater on the stacked rod.

I installed a "chaff system"on my boat been cut off once .the coasties gave his boat a good going over its amazing how many things can be found outa complaince when you mess with a ex.miltary person.

Is that "CHAFF" or chafe.... as in on yer butt while in the buffy mode :$ Yankee Clipper, ya better be afraid of that RK buffy mode, I've heard its very repulsive... :lol::lol:

• 8 months later...