SLR newbie (smallies)

frontrowjoe20

Hey guys. I am heading up for the first time this weekend. Going to be launching out of swan bay. I have read dropshot, jerkbait, jig and worms are all a good starting point. Any recommendations on locations(areas) to fish. Not looking for your honey holes just a baseline area to start. Right now I am thinking 20-30 flats and rocky shoals. I have also been told to make sure there is at least some current where I am fishing. I will put a report on sunday or monday.

18-35 ft. From Clayton to Alex bay. Look for humps on your map. PS...get a map..1 oz sinker and a crayfish works well, drifting off drop offs, worm on a 1/2 oz buck tail, drop shot with pink or watermelon wacky worm. Find the blue/green water....rocky bottom...drop shot there. Good luck!

I went up for the first time 2 weekends ago around the Alex Bay area. All of my smallies came on jerkbaits on shoals but I didn't even try drop shotting. Easier to cover ground with the jerkbait. And I did throw a swim bait but it didn't get touched.

Thanks for the report.  We are leaving in 10 days for a week.  So looking forward to it!  My son is super excited as well.  We will be staying right near Alex bay right across from Bolt castle and there are a couple rocky humps right out in front of the cottage we are renting.  Hope to get into a few smallies myself.  My son wants pike and musky, lol!  I am sure I can get him into a pike or 2 but I told him we will see about the musky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the report. We are leaving in 10 days for a week. So looking forward to it! My son is super excited as well. We will be staying right near Alex bay right across from Bolt castle and there are a couple rocky humps right out in front of the cottage we are renting. Hope to get into a few smallies myself. My son wants pike and musky, lol! I am sure I can get him into a pike or 2 but I told him we will see about the musky.

How did you make out up there?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Short report.  Windy!  We did get a few small mouths fishing the shoal out in front of us and a few pike and large mouths but the wind every day made it tough to stay where you wanted to be.  I heard the walleye bite was good but I never went out in the evenings, just spent time with the family.

Got small mouths on tubes and drop shot rigs with hellgrammite and leech patterns in the 20-40 foot range.  Beautiful place just wish I fished more. 

Less than 24 hours there, I dropped my phone in the water!!!  My replacement is coming today.  On a positive note the boat ran great!

Going to try Keuka a couple days the end of the week.  I hope the wind is not as bad and we get a few there to make up for it.....