Tournament or Charter spread

Question is on how many rods and spread presentation.

4 guys on board. How many rods and what?

I only have 2 downriggers. I know the wider beam boats run more. Lets say 2 riggers

Seems like most locals I talk to don't run 2 lures off their riggers? aka slider/stacker

Do most run 2 dipsys per side? Same size dipsys? Ive been running a mag down and a regular out on 3 setting? Should they be the same? Whats the standard dipsy settings?

Thanks guys. Its been 4 years of trips over from ohio now. Well since I was a 8 year old kid coming with my dad and uncle a few times. Catching fish just want to take it to the next level of understanding. Wod ike to be that 10% that catches 90% of the fish like on erie. Not there yet. No way. Had a local tell me forget everything I know about walleye fishing 3 weeks ago at the dock when I was there last..lol

I do basically what you said, I run 2 riggers, with fixed sliders, so 10 feet up from the clip on the rigger ball I put a splitshot and connect the cheater under the splitshot, then I take 2 dipseys on each side, and run flasher flys of them, but I use both standard size and and one is on the first setting and the.other is on the 3 setting. Good luck!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I'll usually run two riggers, one with a fixed cheater, one with a free slider.  Then two dipsys per side, with one up high for steelies.  If we have friends on board that don't mind reeling in copper, I'll run a 600 off a board on one side and a 300 off a board on the other side.  I'll also sometimes run a 100 copper down the chute as an attractor.  It almost never catches anything, but I feel like it increases our bites on the other rods... it also works to annoy my wife who already thinks we have too many rods out :)

I'll usually run two riggers, one with a fixed cheater, one with a free slider. Then two dipsys per side, with one up high for steelies. If we have friends on board that don't mind reeling in copper, I'll run a 600 off a board on one side and a 300 off a board on the other side. I'll also sometimes run a 100 copper down the chute as an attractor. It almost never catches anything, but I feel like it increases our bites on the other rods... it also works to annoy my wife who already thinks we have too many rods out :)

Thank you. Appreciate it very much!

Sent from my SM-G530P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Joe,

FWIW

I run two riggers, one with a flasher fly in cold water, the other with a spoon typically 20-30 up (so say 110 and 70 or 80) with a fixed slider (mup rig) I typically run 2 wire divers, standard setting is a 2 I almost never change this, if fleas aren't around I will add another set of wires or braid divers then I run a 1 and a 3 setting. 

When conditions allow I run a 300 copper off a board and a 400 copper down the chute. If I'm fishing inside early or late in the day looking for fish out of temp or staging kings i'll run the 300 and a 10 color. 

I definitely subscribe too less is more and had charter captain tell me the same, more rods don't increase your bites like walleye fishing or so it seems, I to use to want to stick a bunch of rods out but found it's too much typically running only 5 or 6 max 90% of the time. 

Whom ever told you to forget everything you know about walleye fishing on Erie and forget it I believe is wrong. Especially if you fish the central to eastern basin. We are good walleye fisherman and always are successful at the salmon fishing. Especially if the salmon are up in the top 60 ft or staging off creeks in late summer. If the fish are deep run you're riggers were the marks are along with your divers on each side. If you are a segmented lead core guy run you're lead cores on boards up high with spoons. Do exactly what you do walleye fishing just at a faster speed and with the correct baits. I fish Wilson in the spring and Olcott early September and our segmented leadcore progam catches fish. The offshore steel head love a 7 color and a super slim, so does a spring King. I have also found that being stealthy and running slower does well on stagging kings.

RD9 you are dead on. I always bring my segmented walleye cores out for salmon and they are deadly. Especially when we have a blow and it brings in the ice water. I grab my walleye rods and keep catching salmon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Less is more in most cases. The key more often than not is getting your spread to work as a unit (spread dynamics).

We prefer a thinner spread - regardless of how many we have on board. While we CAN run as many as 15 lines off our boat, we typically never run more than 8, and most times its 6 or less.

This allows for several things to happen - 1) less issue when fighting bigger fish, 2) easier/quicker to make spread adjustments, 3) easier/quicker to pull and run. Unless we're in a derby and we KNOW there's big fish around, if we don't get anything going in an hour or so, we're gone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I should make note that we're fishing Lake Michigan, but the fish still - in general - react the same. If you're in an area where there's few/no marks AND no action, there's no point in sticking around. It's time to move.

If you've got good marks/bait, play with your spread until it starts firing. I'm typically the one working the deck on our boat and if my 'work queue' is any less than 5 things, I'm being lazy. I'm always doing something - whether it be changing a bait, adjusting a lead, adjusting depth, or resetting lines - I'm always busy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app