Kicker motor

I have the Trophy 2102 and my 9.8 Tohatsu with the XL shaft has plenty of power to push me at trolling speeds with little effort and could push me about 5mph in an emergency. You would be fine with an 8hp, but may want to purchase the XL shaft because of the deep hull and positioning of where you can mount the motor.

Most 9.9 kickers will go that slow. The problem with an eighteen footer is the steering. You need a deep running kicker to keep your boat straight in cross winds and enough power to turn into the wind instead of being blown sideways.

Most 9.9 kickers will go that slow. The problem with an eighteen footer is the steering. You need a deep running kicker to keep your boat straight in cross winds and enough power to turn into the wind instead of being blown sideways.

Exactly. I am glad I decided to go with the XL shaft instead of the Long.

Rolmops made a great point. It is important to make sure the shaft is down deep enough for steering.  One of the things I noticed when I recently bought a 9.8 Tohatsu is  even with the same size shaft (20 inch in my case for my 18 1/2 ft Whaler is that this 4 stroke is much better steering than my previous 9.9 2 stroke. I believe it has more torque or something because I haven't used a steering connector even with the previous motor for a long time.....I just steer with my 135 outboard (25 inch shaft) and in strong wind I had to use my big motor with the 2 stroke but not with this new motor; it handles the wind just fine.

Edited by Sk8man