Starting suggestions for musky

Ive fished 50+ years in NYS but have never targeted musky. I have a place just off the mouth of the slr (cape vincent area...just off mud bay in front of grenadier) where quite a few incidental catches etc of 50+ inch fish ive heard about tells me there are trophy musky to be had. There was a 56" taken through the ice right in front of my place 2 years ago. I lost one that toyed with me while bass fishing. I'm sure my boats and tackle (aside from lures) will cover it. So..I'd like to start chasing em this fall. I'd appreciate some lure suggestions and what type of structure to target, speed etc.. in Sept,Oct Nov. I have a great place..and would be happy to host if someone cares to show me the ropes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome that you want to get into it and no better place than the SLR...careful though as it can become an obsession!

Everyone's idea of big fish tackle is different and with that being said what equipment do you own that you intend to use? On the average guys are using 8'+ H/XH/XXH muskie rods with 80-100 lbs braid and high capacity reels intended to handle the abuse of tossing big baits for hours on end. Your terminal tackle is critical and store bought wire leaders (like the berkley ones you find in dicks or gander) won't do...run 150-180 lbs fluorocarbon leaders with stay-lok snaps rated up to 300 lbs. Some guys use lighter fluoro but I've had little pike just about cut me off with anything below 130 so I figure better to stay 150 or above and even consider using 7 strand wire.

A large muskie net is also a must...one meant to be used on these fish. There are a few out there but look at the frabill power catch 8425 for starters. Long pliers, heavy bolt cutters for cutting hooks, and jaw spreaders are also musts. 

I only list these items because I've spoken with a lot of bass fisherman under the impression that their heavy bass gear will suffice for specifically targeting muskie.

Edited by Ronix 51

Right on the money, Ronix.... You cannot believe the gear muskies shred to pieces!!! When u put in 45-50 hrs to get one shot at landing the fish of a lifetime......You DO NOT want a terminal tackle failure. In this muskie fishing economy its a season to as season and a half between fish on the SLR for some anglers ( depending on how much time you have to put in each fall). The right equipment is critical to landing the fish and safely releasing it. Do some research on the web and dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call a local muskie guide for their opinion.... They should be willing to share basic equipment requirements as well. Always good to ask a pro in my opinion. As far as baits go.... Believer, depth raider, grandma, and Reef Runner 900s are a decent place to start. Good luck to you.

..just the stuff I'm lookin for. I fished salmon for a long time and figure my 10 footers with the okumas should be good enough to start. I'll prob respool em though. I've really considered doing a charter in the river this fall to pick the captains brain. Like with my first salmon back in the late 70s..you get one and know you're screwed looking for the next one for a long time. Getting a big lunge will probably do the same thing. Thanks!

There is a pretty good "sticky" at the top of this page that discusses safe handling and release methods, definitely something you should read through before heading out. Once you hook into one of these fish your adrenaline gets pumping and having all of your release tools within arms reach of the net is critical for a quick unhooking and release. I vote for steel leaders or at least the very heavy fluoro leaders Ronix mentioned... I had a heartbreaking loss with a boatside strike, 10.5" lure and still managed to bite 8" off my 12" 80 lb fluoro leader, year and a half since and still haven't been able to replace that lure (first cast with it too!).

Getting a guide will greatly shorten the learning curve, even if you don't catch anything you at least learn the techniques and productive areas.

Good luck and don't forget, the top predator can be few and far between!

Edited by Tigerhunter

I'm using #130 fluorocarbon,#65 braid trolling and #80casting.7'med ugly sticks with okuma Catalina's and 10'ugly sticks with cv20 convectors.Nice big net(Beckmann) and a good pair of Knipex bolt cutters.Also carry a good hvy set of linesman cutters for backup.

Did some online shopping to get started..4 lures (2 grandma and 2 believer), some 130lb fluorocarbon leaders, and a jaw spreader... $130...and so it begins!! Lol. I also booked a charter with well known slr guide for October, who said he'll be happy to share his wisdom. Can't wait to go huntin!

Don't do it , you will spend all your money on custom lures , expensive rods and divorce lawyers  LoL , seriously use the best equipment you can afford , I use 54 " 130 lb leaders as alot of the time a big ski will roll in the line and 80 lb braid can cut and cause real damage to the fish , practice sharpening hooks with a file or hone til you get them needle sharp as Muskie have hard mouths , early in the summer stick to weedlines and run spinnerbaits like pearson grinders or Custom Rob Day spinnerbaits , Run short leads 20 ft to 30 ft right in the prop wash at around 5.0 to 6.0mph in 8 to 12 ft of water , most of all join either Muskies Inc. or Muskies Canada and your learning curve will go up dramaticaly , greatguys to learn from and you get all the up to date info and great deals on custom baits , When fall comes its a totally different game , and running big crankbaits like Hosebaits , Bluewater baits and DK custom lures around bait will up your catch rate , good luck and be safe the Larry can turn nasty in the fall 

Lol..thanks! My marriage somehow survived the salmon years..my anniv is 4/28. My first 10 anniv or so were spent shackin up with my buddy in the eslo derby. All sounds good...esp about joining a group or 2. October charter booked for learning..

• 3 weeks later...

This sat I finally got on the water musky trolling for the first time. I decided to start by flat lining 2 grandma's back 115 and 125 feet.... at about 3 mph +- a tenth or 2. I worked a area where it dropped off quickly near shore and marked a lot of bait. On the 2nd pass my 10' heavy trolling rod got taken straight back in a way only 20+ lb kings had done in the past. The problem was I couldn't get the damned rod out of the holder! That made for a poor set and end of fight. It sure got the adrenaline goin though. My perch colored grandma has its first teeth marks. Lesson learned...different rod holders needed. Musky 1 me nothin...but I'll be back!

.Your well on your way...doesn't sound like you need any help. Lol

Joining both clubs will have its benefits, belong to both, I've met great people by joining Muskies canada.Ofcourse mi too.Ill be in gananoque sat maybe sun morn too, could stop over on way back for a little bit.

LTFM I to have a place right on the water near mudbay close to Ponds Marina. I've been fishing the area for about 25 years mostly for bass and sometimes walleye. I have NEVER in all my years of trolling caught a musky but I'm certain at least once I had one on in front of your place about 4 years ago in the spring/early summer. I had a planer board out running a shallow diving lure in semi deep water. The planer board took off like a shark had ahold of it I had to reverse the boat just to keep up with it and shortly after my line broke. It cut my line near the swivel and I was heartbroken! Could it have been a large pike maybe but I've caught a lot of large walleye, pike and sheepshead on boards and none took the board like this fish did.

I've also been looking into targeting musky and possibly hiring a guide as well. Catching a musky is up there on my bucket list. Oh I should mention my father has caught two muskies by accident over the span of five decades. One 30 some pound tiger musky and a small musky both were caught in the spring around fox island. I'll be sending you a PM for sure.

Edited by EyeSlayer

• 8 months later...

Hello all...i got lots of good info when I started this thread last summer. Right now it's the ca-ching sound of the cash register as I work on collecting lures etc for the upcoming season. Lol.. I'm looking at bucktails now. What are your favorite colors for the SLR area? Has anyone used the "fat slob" bucktails made up in Ontario.? They're look great to me....any other bucktails suggestions? Thanks!

Not sure I've heard of fat slob. If you are referring to inline blades for casting, check out Musky Mahem, Spanky Baits, and Dadson Blade Baits. Lots of other smaller guys too. CPR Baits made some nice ones for me and a buddy last year. I hear alot of guys say they like Gerry's Girls bucktails too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app