Dipsy vs other rods

Dipsey Rods are setup to run a dipsey diver which is a a weighted directional disc which is attached to the line/braid /wire on the reel. You set the dipsey to pull away from the boat with the weight on the disc,there are different settings 0-3.5 so you can get to different depths and spread different rods if you want to run multiple rods on each side of the boat.

Many Dipsey rods use wire will have a twili tips so the wire doesn't destroy the end eye on the rod. The rod is deployed to different depths and a clip is locked in to the disc when a fish hits the bait usually pretty violently it trips the dipsey so you can fight the fish with out  the drag from the disc. 

Dipsey rods have more backbone then a downrigger rod too.

This what you are asking?

Edited by Charlie P

I know how the divers work. Was just wondering what the difference was between a dedicated dipsy rod and other rods. Dipsy rods are only available online to me. Regular downrigger and trolling rods I can get. I plan on having 2 dipsy rods, one flat line, and one downrigger rod to potentially use. My flat line rod is a st Croix kokanee with a shimano Calcutta 50 with 8lb line.

You could get away with a med/hvy but I would be sure it has a xtra fast tip to absorb some of the shock from the fish. The purpose of a dipsy rod is to be able to fight the fish with the whole rod so it works the whole backbone thru the whole length of the rod but yet has the forgiveness when it decides it wants to run 2-300 ft of wire out. Me personally wouldn't do it after what I have been thru this season so far. Kings are hitting so hard that last week I had a rod snap right in the rod holder before I could get it out. Best of luck

I won't be fishing salmon. This is actually for smaller lakes and 15-36" Lakers

Then you should be fine with a rigger rod just remember the TwiliTip for or wire will dig into the eye

The dipsy rods I have are longer (9 or 10ft) and larger in diameter at their base than my rigger rods (7 or 8'). I actually prefer my rigger rods for dipsies. Yes...more flex/tension on the rod and higher risk of breaks....but much easier to handle, in my opinion. If you are fishing Lakers, I would just use normal rigger rods. I break more rods due to handling than I do when fishing. Most of my rods (dipsy and rigger) are ugly sticks.