Ruff Rider Sodus Live Report 2016 Aug 5-7

Well the story of the week was the upwelling and extreme cold water that moved into Sodus. Multiple reports of 45F water down 20ft over 150fow. Fishing has been extremely tough, with some doing ok running to 400-600fow where the water was more stable. Some king and brown action in 50fow as well.

The good news is that the water has been stabilizing the past few days and if the Rochester reports are a sign, the water should be setting back up.

If I were going out in the morning, I would check out that 350fow range. Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and we can get out Friday night. The forecast for Saturday looks lousy and after dislocating a rib last weekend, I need to take a break from rough water... so we'll see what happens.

Good luck to the teams fishing the tourney this weekend, be safe!

Hope the winds cooperate to get out. Havent been out in weeks. Dad was in hospital with a heart attack, actually started while fighting a fish the last time out of hughes .  then vacation last week camping . Free weekend this week to fish and dad has the green light from docs to go out as well!

Kev Glad to hear your dad is better and has the green light :)

The Admiral and I were out in separate boats yesterday out of Hughes. He motored out to the 600's early while a buddy and I trolled out there from 120. Bob got into some in the 650 to 700 range (steelie and smaller chinooks) so we joined him and fished the 600 to 730 range the rest of the day  but only ended up with a 6 or 7 lb steelie and a small chinnook and one real good fish that sunk our board pretty good and then got off on the 300 copper. Black spoons seemed best. and downriggers in the 50 ft range but again small sample of fish .... 680-690 was where we marked the most fish and the only place we caught anything. We never marked anything going out to that range or coming back in before quitting.. It is interesting to note though that for the entire afternoon we marked fish right on the bottom in the 600's. I couldn't believe them being that deep but it happened intermittently all afternoon as we trolled and his alarm went off and sure enough they were there. A fw suspended fish marked at 40 -70 ft. fleas were there in afternoon but mild. Strong currents in some places too. We trolled to the west of Ginna before quitting (5:30 AM to about 6 PM) :)

Edited by Sk8man

Sea monsters??

I have read articles where the Lake Michigan guys will go down 300-400 feet in the summer to catch kings. Maybe they're down over 600 feet as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lake Michigan is a slender long Lake. it's max depth has got Lake Ontario beat by almost 300 feet. I wouldn't guess three to four hundred feet down but some say 180 to 250. Maxing out there downrigger cables

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lake Michigan is a slender long Lake. it's max depth has got Lake Ontario beat by almost 300 feet. I wouldn't guess three to four hundred feet down but some say 180 to 250. Maxing out there downrigger cables

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well know charter skipper and one of the best tournament fisherman on lake Michigan catches kings at depths past 400 ft quite often. Running riggers and divers. His diver reels have 5000 feet of wire on them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app