Meeting at hatchery

One problem in Canada is we count Commorants by the 1/4 MILE lines they fly in to the feeding grounds everyday coming off their colony roosts on Toronto Islands............AND add them up.........Another subject for another day.........................

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

You aint seen cormorants until you've fished near the Toronto islands, or I guess the Galoo's back in the day.

Hey Rick,

That's 2 things we agree on in 1 week.........Keep it up and your going to get a free Canadian hatchery pullover and a reversible lapel pin................

Chad , Interest or not      fishing under 150' feet of water on one of the best structure this lake has with more bait packed in these waters for months and  fishing all paddle sets gets next to zero incidental lakers caught TOTAL in years ..... Verses Team Yankee and all other tournament guy's will catch hundreds of incidental laker numbers in just 2-3 days fishing 1st tournament near Niagara with close to same set up . Lake trout will not move that relatively short distance ( Niagara area to Toronto and beyond)  Even With the current..............

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Jerry are you thinking the fish are not there because of conditions (which seems optimal given hard bottom) or because of where they are stocked? If they are not dispersing lakewide as you would think then perhaps we should be talking less about Lake Trout cuts and more about moving stocking locations to other side of the pond to take predation pressure off our pen fish? Why would they choose sand bottom over rock when everything we have been told is they like hard bottom structure? To me it is a bait distribution issue as to why they are on our shore. If the even distribution issue can't be remedied them I am for cutting lake trout stocking.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising with all the nutrient flow and bait availability there......would you go across town to shop for groceries if you lived next door to Wegman's? Probably no accident that the lakers on Lake O are enormous by other lake standards :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising with all the nutrient flow and bait availability there......would you go across town to shop for groceries if you lived next door to Wegman's? Probably no accident that the lakers on Lake O are enormous by other lake standards :lol:

The fall returns to the Niagara have been very weak in recent years despite a pen project and the massive flow that the returnees should have no problem finding. This coincides with the huge uptick of Lakers in the area. The little fingerlings, whether pen held or direct stocked, have to go through a gauntlet at the mouth of the river. No doubt they are being inhaled by the behemoths in big numbers every Spring. There's your cut--courtesy of Mr forktail.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a Coho I found in the belly of a 15# Laker we caught in our SU Illinois club tourney on Lake Michigan a couple weeks ago. The remains of the Coho were 12" and it's head was mostly digested already.

post-159549-0-94396200-1472423128_thumb.jpeg

Interesting read, covered entire blog. I'm just a dumb ss from Pa. but my overall take after 20 yrs in river and 10 on the lake is this......kick everybody out of the sandbox for 3 yrs and let mother nature figure it out. We might be surprised. But we all know that will never happen, too much money at stake.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app