up in ST Lawrence for August need bass action

Art Benham

vacationing in Cape Vincent for the month. Looking for any insight into small/large mouth action up here. 

Any help will be much appreciated... local haunts around Carlson  seem bare so far...

out all day yesterday, found fish, threw everything at them, no takers, very frustratiing. something is very different up here. been fishing up here for 6 years now. last three years things have dwindled down,this year so far only one day boating fish! unless I'm forgetting how to fish...something up here is screwed up!!!

I wonder if this area got hit by that VHS disease. We had it hit Canandaigua Lake 2 years ago and boy you have a tough time finding any smallies there now. they were plentyful. it didn't seem to effect the trout though. is there any bass stocking programs up here?

just found this NYS:

Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) in New York What is VHS?

Viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) virus is a serious pathogen of fresh and saltwater fish that is causing a disease issue in the Great Lakes region of the United States and Canada. VHS virus is a rhabdovirus (rod shaped virus) that affects fish of all size and age ranges. It does not pose any threat to human health. VHS can cause hemorrhaging of fish tissue, including internal organs, and can cause the death of infected fish. Once a fish is infected with VHS, there is no known cure. Not all infected fish develop the disease, but they can carry and spread the disease to other fish. VHS has been blamed for fish kills in Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake St. Clair (MI), Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence River, Skaneateles Lake, Seneca-Cayuga Canal, Conesus Lake, a private pond in Ronsomville and several inland lakes in Wisconsin and Michigan. The World Organization of Animal Health has categorized VHS as a transmissible disease with the potential for profound socio-economic consequences. Because of this, they list VHS as a disease that should be reported to the international community as an exceptional epidemiological (study of diseases in large populations) occurrence.

well from what i can find on the NYS DEC site there haven't been any bass stocking anywhere up here. might have something to do with it too.

no stocking

VHS disease

those damn gobies

several awesome years of harvest before this year.

hmmm.. might all be contributing factors.. only thing you locals can do is contact the DEC and have them put more in !!!

Caught limit on saturday in 20 minutes. My buddy caught 12. Crabs in 20fow. Between clayton and cape vincent.

But Yes..... To your points, Bass fishing is not what it once was. I know many guys are experiencing better results on the canadian side of the river.

Edited by EsoxAC3