Catfish

Dylan585

Maybe try the Clyde River near Clyde NY near the lock (23?) at night if there is access now days or below the lock/falls (where the Canandaigua Outlet empties in near RT31) at Lyons in the Erie canal both places using cornmeal balls just slightly larger than a marble. To make the cornmeal balls just cook the cornmeal with some water until it is sticky and form into balls and put in the refrigerator briefly to slightly harden them before going fishing. They can be kept in a cooler wrapped in wax paper while fishing. I once caught a blue cat in the Clyde River that was over 8 inches between the eyes. We didn't have a scale only a 12 inch ruler with us so I don't know what it weighed...I couldn't lift it for long as a kid I know that :lol: Another possibility is at May's Point near Savannah NY and either on the Erie canal there or the Seneca River part  below the causeway.

Edited by Sk8man

Not sure if it would be a little far for you however the Susquehanna, Chemung or Chenango Rivers are a good place to get channel cats from shore. My wife and I live about a mile from some shore access sites and do pretty good just after sunset with nightcrawlers, chicken liver or shrimp. They put up a fight and are fun to catch and release. 

Float fish for them in the Genesee with a nightcrawler & black jig. You don't necessarily need to use a float, but it will enable you to cover more ground & lose less jigs. I've caught a ton there this summer, including one monster pushing 20lbs on my centerpin. Use Seth Green access, and fish the first hole. Bring some cheap shad rap imitations as well. Obviously Rapalas work best, but after loosing a few $8 lures I learned that lesson quickly. Good Luck! 

I'll second Genny around Seth Green.

And float fishing for them. Float nightcrawlers JUST off bottom.

Might even get lucky and hook a walleye....

I was getting walleyes on three different outings, all on shadraps. They wouldn't touch anything else (besides the one I got floating a worm). Have not been down there in close to a month, so I'm not sure if they are still in. One outing I got 5, all around 3lbs & they were hitting like a ton of bricks! 

Boggle, i was down there this morning. We were fishing from a boat, but upstream of the island. Lots of small cats, a couple 4-5lb'ers. And a bonus walleye. Bite turned off completely once the sun was shining down in the gorge.

If you dont mind a ton of 12" fish to find a couple bigger ones, it is worth another trip.

Bring lots of nightcrawlers.

I'm usually going for the night bite, and I've also found that when the sun is shining down there, the fish are not as cooperative. Literally the minute that sun drops past the Maplewood side cliffs, the fishing picks up. I wouldn't go before 6-6:30, unless your looking to work on your tan.

I'm usually going for the night bite, and I've also found that when the sun is shining down there, the fish are not as cooperative. Literally the minute that sun drops past the Maplewood side cliffs, the fishing picks up. I wouldn't go before 6-6:30, unless your looking to work on your tan.

I'll be going at like 8

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Maybe try the Clyde River near Clyde NY near the lock (23?) at night if there is access now days or below the lock/falls (where the Canandaigua Outlet empties in near RT31) at Lyons in the Erie canal both places using cornmeal balls just slightly larger than a marble. To make the cornmeal balls just cook the cornmeal with some water until it is sticky and form into balls and put in the refrigerator briefly to slightly harden them before going fishing. They can be kept in a cooler wrapped in wax paper while fishing. I once caught a blue cat in the Clyde River that was over 8 inches between the eyes. We didn't have a scale only a 12 inch ruler with us so I don't know what it weighed...I couldn't lift it for long as a kid I know that[emoji38]Another possibility is at May's Point near Savannah NY and either on the Erie canal there or the Seneca River part below the causeway.

Yes exactly. Right were the clyde river dumps into the canal just south of Lyons ny. I think the name of the road is Lyons morango Rd. Fish the canal or the Clyde river any where in that area with your favorite bait and you will have constant action with 10 to 15 lb cats being possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How deep is it roughly? How far up should I set my float?

It varies a bit depending on exactly where you are and even which side of the river you are fishing from.  Set it high and if you get a clean drift keep setting it lower until you are indicating bottom.  Depending on where you are when you start...... try 3' and go from there.  Most of the fishing I was doing was in 4.5-5' of water.

Went tonight... got to the bottom... there was gun ****s down the fishing trail... turned around and power walked up... 3 city folk walked up 5 minutes after us with a duffle bag... now going to the canal in Pittsford to try... won't be back at Seth green until I'm 21 and have my concealed carry permkt