Cayuga Lake with son

My 9 year old son never liked fishing but very recently he's shown an interest. Brought him out for his first full day's of fishing although we were only out for about 2-3 hours, but for a kid, that's a full day! Launched out of Dean's and the wind was worse than I expected but started to let a wire rod with a dipsey and Spin Doctor and fly out. Got it to about 80 on the counter when something hit it, gave the rod to my son but by then he got off. Anyway, a good start. Felt a little pressure to catch fish to make sure my son stays interested. Set up that rod again and sent a second rod with same set up- 3 minutes later that rod fires and he brings in his first salmon, little over 18 inches but gave him a good fight. Set up both rods again and sent probe with temp on a downrigger. 55 degrees down about 45 feet which seemed shallow to me but I guess with the north wind it was bringing up cooler water closer to surface. Didn't get anything more until we decided to leave around 8pm and again one of the wire rods has a fish- another 18inch salmon, and the other wire rod has a fish on it which I thought was small because it lacked any fight to it, but as I reeled felt some weight to it, gave the rod to my son and we brought in a nice laker, I'm guessing about 6-7 pounds. My son was very happy and I was relieved that it turned into a successful trip. Now I have to convince my wife to let me clean the fish in our new house's kitchen :lol: . Thanks to all the people on this site who share as I've read many posts which helped me know a little about what to do. If it wasn't for this site I would not know how to fish with wire and dipseys, and that was the only rods that produced today. Wanted to get some pics of my son with the fish but he fell asleep on the car ride home. Anyway, sweet dreams.

Great report Bob and glad things worked out well. The most important part of it is the father and son bonding that occurs out there regardless of results :yes:

Thanks Guys. Fishing IS a great way to bond with our children. And probably a way a lot of us got started in fishing learning from our dads. I'm going to try and post a pic of the lake trout. My son will get a kick out of seeing a fish he caught being posted here.

Get an old ironing board so you can clean the fish outside.  Adjustable height. and you can hose it off when done.   The older heaver ones are the best.  You see them along side the road with the " free " stuff

Thanks, Ed. Like I said to Les, you and other guys on this site have helped me be a better fisherman. In turn, I hope my son will be part of the next generation to take up the sport.