Locating brown trout

Not a big lake question but for smaller lakes. I catch a decent amount of lake trout in lakes that also contain browns and sometimes brookies. I've caught brookies trolling but never browns. I hammer them in streams throughout the year and catch them from shore in the spring but never got one trolling. Never got one through the ice either. How should I be targeting them? How deep do they like to hang out? Is the technique the same? I usually run about 1.2-1.75 mph and catch most of my lakers 40-60' down in 40-90 fow. Just got my 8th brown over 20" from streams for the year and would like to get one in the boat.

Early morning 5 color lead, cooper mooselook wobbler, adirondac lakes, usally under thermocline 20 feet down, sun gets up after 9:00am no hits, I can't catch them with down riggers .

Edited by thork9

I tried again this morning. Thermocline is around 35 feet. Marked several fish at mid 20s in 50 fow. No hits from any of them but I did get 2 18" Lakers that were hanging around 40. I ran 2 small divers out each side on #3 and one magnum diver straight back. Which at low speeds that magnum works like a downrigger. I had 40' of line out and it was showing up on my fish finder as 35'. Caught both the lakers on a fire tiger original floater rapala.

Early morning 5 color lead, cooper mooselook wobbler, adirondac lakes, usally under thermocline 20 feet down, sun gets up after 9:00am no hits, I can't catch them with down riggers .

Down rigger =  longer leads + a slider

I tried again this morning. Thermocline is around 35 feet. Marked several fish at mid 20s in 50 fow. No hits from any of them but I did get 2 18" Lakers that were hanging around 40. I ran 2 small divers out each side on #3 and one magnum diver straight back. Which at low speeds that magnum works like a downrigger. I had 40' of line out and it was showing up on my fish finder as 35'. Caught both the lakers on a fire tiger original floater rapala.

55 to 60 degree water = fish that depth have your deepest a few feet above , try and work that contour depth..... work your speed up some also , start where you want no hit and you have marks work the speed up , working a contour you will be making some hard turns and that helps also 

Edited by ERABBIT