Spinnerbaits

tman12

Like most, spinnerbaits are my go to. I'm a fan of closed loop wire spinnerbaits, as I often use leaders, and 1/2 oz baits. After my favorite spinnerbait manufacturer stopped making them, I've been on the hunt for the past couple years for the perfect spinnerbait. Wire durability is the main thing that I've noticed many big name companies lack in their spinnerbaits. Just curious, what's everybody's favorite? What brand do you use the most?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sea-IV, I like the war eagles a lot actually. They are really smooth to fish. However, smaller pike tend to rip them apart. I'm thinking about ordering a few of the war eagle trokar's, which feature the closed loop. Also just found a smaller company that makes spinnerbaits called "bassdozer". They look great, and I'm also considering getting a couple of those too

I'm a big fan of the terminator titaniums. Switch to a flouro leader with braid and tie EVERYTHING direct. You will foul far less and you will get better action. No need for a steel leader.... Seaguar blue label 30lb if you are targeting Mr toothy and 15lb for most bass/walleye applications and lighter yet for finesse drop shotting. Honestly straight flouro 12 seaguar abrazx on a bait caster is a common tournament setup...I'm a braid spinning guy myself.

Out of convenience I use almost exclusively Strike King spinnerbaits whether just the regular name, Banshee or KVD. Earlier in the spring I had a Banshee break right off at the wire on a bass that was probably 1.5lbs. When you catch big fish and they straighten that wire out and you keep pushing it back into place, it obviously weakens it each time. I estimated about 20 fish on that spinnerbait though before it broke.

I need to experiment more with different spinnerbaits but it's hard for me to spend $10+ on one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Braid is tough on tackle because you tend to have drags tighter and there is no stretch...most fishermen have there drags way too tight...I've caught quite a few big tigers and countless small mouths and havent broke one yet...had skirts and blades get damaged but thats it.

I use the banshees occasionally krux. I've gotten a lot of fish on them, but after a couple boat flips they seem to get real bendy. Justin, I actually just tried a terminator this weekend for the first time. They have some of the smoothest running blades I have ever ran, even more so than the war Eagles. I'm a fan so far. I'm going up to gander mountain probably Wednesday to grab a couple things, including more of them. I'll give the flouro a try too, I run straight seaguar 15lb on one of my baitcasters, and will try your advice on leaders, as many people have told me that lately, so it must be worth the change. I got 60lb power pro on my froggin rod, which I often find myself using for spinnerbaits too, so I'll tie some flouro to it

Nothing wrong with your frogging setup...no flouro leader for top water...use mono if you want a shock leader...flouro sinks and the nose of your frog will hang...the leader flouro is really for toothy fish...if you stay on bass you can use line instead of leader. Fletcher Shryock for example uses an extra long 8-10 foot seaguar invisx line tied to his braid with a double Albright knot. He casts the knot and prefers flouro to fight the fish close to the boat and for boat flipping fish. Lots of options but other than frogging use flouro somehow with your braid

That's very interesting. Ya, I didn't plan on using it for the frog set up. I'll probably end up buying another curado to have for spinnerbaits so I don't have to retie. I have a couple revos but ever since I got the curado I can't put it down. Definitely going to take you up on flouro leaders though, won't get all bent up like steel leaders do after a couple days

I am no KVD when it comes to spinner baits but I tie power pro straight to the spinner bait.  For me, it is color, size and blade shape that matter most.  I only fish it close to the weeds and usually with some chop.  I have never been cut off or had one break.  I use a flouro for finesse and drop shot but not for high reaction bait.  Like justin said, need to set your drag - for me so that when you set the hook initially a little bit of drag comes out.  After saying all of this, It is not my goto as I prefer to fish slow presentations.  Until reading this, I didn't know they would break.

That's very interesting. Ya, I didn't plan on using it for the frog set up. I'll probably end up buying another curado to have for spinnerbaits so I don't have to retie. I have a couple revos but ever since I got the curado I can't put it down. Definitely going to take you up on flouro leaders though, won't get all bent up like steel leaders do after a couple days

tman,

If you're buying the setup specifically for spinnerbaits you might want to look at running straight fluoro or mono. Just google it and see what the bass guys say. The extra stretch is supposed to help reduce short strikes and should help with your broken wire problems too. Braid is obviously better to rip through weeds though, so it's a personal preference like anything else.

I'm personally using Picasso spinnerbaits now and love them. Very thin coffee colored wire on their inviz line and I haven't had any problems with breakage yet.

The only place the pros use straight braid to lure that I know of is frogging/top water/punching and many use mono. Flouro is used as mainline on most pros baitcasters for most anything. Spinning setups use braid and flouro. This isn't to say there aren't a few guys with other approaches. This is first hand info from fishing directly with many pros on their boats.

The curado is a great choice Tman. One thing I will say is the spinnerbait doesn't play to big a role in tournaments in the Northeast.... flipping, pitching, skipping for largies wins nearly every event...

Chowdaire, I'm definitely going to run at least one of my rods flouro. Justin, I should have specified in my original post, they are my go to for Canada, when I'm at my camp, which is frequently. For some reason the fish up there always fall for the spinnerbait. I heard about that tournament, wish I was around for it. Hopefully there will be one in the fall. Around here I'm mainly using flipping jigs, senkos and frogs.

By no means am I saying the spinner bait doesn't catch...I just know Tman has some interest in tournaments and plastics rule for big largies...and keep in mind co-angling in tournaments you fish behind a very good fisherman... aggressive easy to catch fish won't be there for your cast. You aren't allowed to cast past the middle of the boat so it's not like normal bass fishing. Not to mention 100 boats will be prefishing for days leading up to the tournament and fishing is seldom easy.

Appreciate the tips guys. Unfortunately I'll be away for the final tournament on that list you sent me Justin, however I found one on Onondaga lake I might enter, if school allows. I think I've found some decent spots on that lake for largies

This thread has been very educating for me.  I will definitely be trying some of the ideas/approaches here.  For me and my fishing partner - soft plastics fished extremely slow is how we normally smash em and we usually run a deep diving crank or spinner bait to break up the monotony.  Maybe some day I will be like KVD - #fantasy