Spinnerbaits

tman12

BSmaster, glad your enjoying this thread, as I am too. Lots of good information being shared. Krux, terminators are all over, bass pro has a good amount as does gander mountain. I'm heading up to gander mountain later and grabbing some more. I have the one, as I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, and loved the action, but was wary of the open R frame, as opposed to closed. However, now that everyone's saying flouro leaders are the way to go, I think I'll be just fine with the terminators. Excited to try this flouro approach to spinnerbaits

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Spinner baits have been used with a lot of success for eyes also, put down off the rigger. This method is used quite often with sunken debrie such as fallen trees. I use this setup in Chaumont bay and other littler lakes around home. I also use the 5/8-1oz rigs trolled at the same speed and length as a snap weight of the same weight, as we know speed is important when trolling any weighted rig. Try it see what happens??

I bought some teminators a couple of years ago. Couldn't get a touch on them. Not sure why. I don't fish spinnerbaits that often but when I bought them I fished them exclusively for a while and got nothing. Then I put on a Gander Mountain bargain bin special and started catching fish again so the terminators are retired. A lot of people swear by them so I know they work, but not for me. Strange how that works sometimes. Could have been the time or place but it killed my confidence in them.

I use fireline to fluoro leader on all my spinning combos. Uni to uni knot was my main knot, now it's Red Philips. They're both variations on the uni knot. I've never had one pop (knock wood) and have landed everything up to a 5' sturgeon on 8# test. When I used the uni to uni on 5# power pro years ago it kept cutting itself so I had to switch to a modified albright for that combo. Lots of good leader knots out there. Learn one that works for you and perfect it because they can be a big time waster if you're fumbling around with them.

And as for spinnerbaits for walleyes. Yep. Perfect time for them right now in the deep weeds too.

What length do most of you guys use for a fluoro leader?

I have gotten so used to using strike king spinnerbaits with success that it's pretty much all I seek out now, but with the suggestions in this thread I'll branch out. Although the Banshees may be flimsy after a while, I think they look great in the water. I have a couple Revenge spinnerbaits that are super flimsy and I haven't caught a thing on - I wouldn't seek them out but I could give them a fairer chance.

The soft plastic bite is undeniable, once you find them...sometimes it's painfully slow fishing that I get fed up with after half an hour and need to go back to covering water with my go-to spinnerbait approach. I'm not a tournament guy so more than anything, I just want to enjoy my time on the water, and for me covering water is my favorite option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have two identical rods with identical line combos using a double uniknot.  One casts terribly (I have to retie) and is annoying and the other casts so well, I do not know it is even there.  All about the knot and how well you tie it.  I use to resist it when I was naive but now I force myself to be a better knot maker.  I have watched too many nice fish leave with my jewelry because of my (stubborness) negligence.  Now I spend a lot of time on You tube learning new knots and practicing before I get on the water.

Good info guys. Grabbed some seaguar 12# alongside blue label 20 for leaders (out of 30). Just tried out one of the Albright knots, and I got it to stick so I'll try that out. Also grabbed some terminators, and a couple strike king premier plus and tour grades to give a test run with

I was getting walleye too up in Canada fishing weed lines for pike in between 8-15 FOW. Good ones too. Last year I got a 28, 26, and 21" on a spinnerbait to my surprise, all within 24 hours. definitely a fun surprise to pull them up

Fished for a half hour today at the Erie Canal as I was passing through. Used the new setup, and man it's fun to use, not to mention much better than using steel leaders as I was used to. Tying the flouro to the spinnerbait was sooooo much nicer than leaders. No adjusting or tangles, just easier. I'm a big fan, so thanks for all that gave advice. And yes, I was using the terminator T1 that a few recommended. Very strong wire

I will be giving them a good workout this weekend krux.  I'll share my results later on.  Planning on hitting otisco early tomorrow morning with a buddy if the weather holds up