We just got new boat and it has outriggers we run 2 downriggers and 2 dipsy's can I put a copper out on the outrigger and not have a problem with the dipsy or do I have to change the dipsy from a almost 3 to a lower number and help will be great

Your going to have play with settings i run mine on 3--- and i feel like the coppers off my out riggers our mighty close so i run boards when I can- somthing ur going to have to play with- just let your copper center up down shoot before u reel over ur diver

I run long coppers off 15 foot outriggers set about 11 feet above the water surface and angled back behind center of boat. The copper enters the water nearly 30 feet behind the boat, out of the way. When running dipsey off the boat, the setting is #1 for me, and only one dipsey per side. Anything higher numbers on dipsey, you run the risk of a fish carrying the diver into the copper. It still can happen even then though.

I would never run a 3 setting with outriggers running copper, they would be crossed for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Skipper 19 has it right (as usual) :lol: . Hey Mark ...hope you're back in action out there as of today :)  In addition to the positioning of the outriggers (e.g. distance above the water) an additional consideration running them is what are they made of because at least in my experience the aluminum type (I have both) seem a little better at running bigger dipseys as they are stiffer than the fiberglass ones and if running in rough water there is a lot of torque (and flexing of the fiberglass outriggers) so a really good set of well anchored holders is required. Heavier dipseys on the fiberglass models if located quite low on the gunwales can be pulled downward by the dipseys in rough water so that they may actually enter the water at the tips....again the torque can be tremendous so just something to think about. (Can you tell I may have been in that situation?) :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I'd say NO unless you're looking for a disaster. Even on a 2 setting those divers get out to the side. Copper tangles are no fun, and it costs you lots of fishing time. Just run one copper down the chute or put it out on a planer board.

I've primarily run small divers on the outriggers with a 0-1 setting and never had any problems  but one of the other considerations is underwater side current which could relate to what Rick's comment could be addressing too. I also mainly run my copper down the chute.

Edited by Sk8man

As I mentioned earlier, and as Rick pointed out, the dipsey will be out under the long coppers on an out rigger. You can control the dance manually on putting them out and bringing them in, but when the king is controlling the dance it all goes downhill from that point. You will have no control over the other end of 200 to 300 feet of dipsy lead and a charging king going at right angles to everything...you just can't predict it. I try not to go over a 1 setting and keep the rod close to the boat and at water horizon. Like I said you still can get tangled even then, but you can get tangled on any long copper in the chute too...it's just easier to manage when only one copper is running in the chute.

In most cases I don't even run a dipsy when running the outrigger coppers.

On days where I feel it's necessary to get more than 5 lines in the water, I will only run 1 long copper in the chute and use the outriggers to get more separation on dipsy and then I run 4 dipsy rigs at once.

As Les pointed out, the outrigger poles are a point of concern with divers. Obviously longer poles take on more leverage and can be tough on mounts and roof attachment. I have 15 foot aluminum Taco and use paracord for rigging so the divers can pull without breaking something. They flex pretty wild with the dipsy and a ring, but do work nicely with the blacks release over the pin and no twist on the line. Use the drag as normal to hold the dipsy at its predetermined distance out.

That's it, either I choose copper or dipsy and go from there as to the setup. Typically I run all dipsey AS MANY AS 4, then 3 riggers and one long copper in chute 8 TOTAL..., or I run 2 long coppers (outriggers) NO dipsy, three riggers either clean or stacked with 2 100 foot coppers 20 ft above the ball, sometimes the short coppers on the ball....SWR style😆 TOTAL 5.. OR 7 WITH STACKERS.

outriggers shine in rough water where the planners would have some trouble.

Edited by skipper19

I know nothing lesson to this guy -^ feel free to get a hold of me at on the deck charters on face book

Sir, I hope you don't take offense to my offer of advice for his question on the outrigger and copper program. I don't do face book, sorry. I can see that you have a Carolina style boat with a wide beam and your outriggers are trussed, meaning they are probably of the 20 to 30 foot length variety. Those can be very effective and the wide beam of your boat gives plenty of separation for coppers and a dipsy or 2 inside. As you mentioned every boat design is different and yours is obviously a much wider boat than mine with longer poles for outriggers. My boat is center console and the riggers are T top mounted about 5 feet apart. My separation is only 35 feet, yours probably close to 50 or more with 20 foot rigger poles and a 10 Foot beam.

Very nice rig you have there by the way! A beauty!...What make is it?

Mark

You know I have been using outriggers since 1979 both types on two different boats and everything that Mark has said rings true in my experience.....very good advice and valid stuff to think about. One other thing that comes to mind using Black releases on outriggers that might not occur to someone is that if you carefully set your release tension on them and don't loop the line around the arm and just let it flow over the arm you can easily adjust the amount of line out right at the reel (adjust the drag setting) without bringing anything in to do it. It is more difficult doing this (i.e. adjusting the tension to get it right)  with dipseys than on say a single spoon or stick.

so I was given a pair of 12 foot tacos.  I installed them late last year and used them a couple times for flat lines and short cores i like them especially in traffic or rough water.  I want to use them more and like the idea of running a second dipsey on them better than copper.  I only own one copper set up and usually leave it at home. just not my thing.  my question is can you run a wire dipsey off the outrigger?  does it hurt the line or potentially put a kink in it?  my though it to just loop it over the release so i can slide it out before letting line out on the dipsey but I have been reluctant to try it with the wire.  my other extra diver rod is braid so it doest run during flea season.  

so I was given a pair of 12 foot tacos. I installed them late last year and used them a couple times for flat lines and short cores i like them especially in traffic or rough water. I want to use them more and like the idea of running a second dipsey on them better than copper. I only own one copper set up and usually leave it at home. just not my thing. my question is can you run a wire dipsey off the outrigger? does it hurt the line or potentially put a kink in it? my though it to just loop it over the release so i can slide it out before letting line out on the dipsey but I have been reluctant to try it with the wire. my other extra diver rod is braid so it doest run during flea season.

The only way I know of to run wire on the outriggers is to use a roller release like one from AFTCO. I used them, but didn't have any luck with copper on them. Your wire dipsy may work ok, I don't know because I haven't tried the AFTCO with the dipsy wire yet. What I do now is use braid over the pin on a blacks release with no loop twist. I know the fleas are an issue with MOST braids, but there is one that is very good at reduced flea collection and I have found it to be better than wire in side by side equal time running. It is Fireline Fused Original in 30lb test. It is slick, and so far the fleas are minimal compared to other braids. Try it if you can, you will be better off with it and it is ok with the blacks release over the pin.

I had the AFTCO break a copper and one of the releases actually broke, loosing the roller out of it.

O man theirs a million ways yo skin a cat ! (Lol) or soothing like that! Skipper19 - its a rampage 28 - i only use outriggers when its to nasty to run boards - but i love the way they sound when a big king takes one off them