LOC SUMMER DERBY

We have fished derby's since ESLO/1000 a day/LOC were started. Our crew enjoys them and encourage all to participate. However (isn't there always an however or but) we noticed that in last years and this years summer derby you have almost a complete rollover in leaders once you hit summer(june 21) ! For instance the grand prize leader of 24.03 lbs. on June 21 is now in 20th place !! The Rainbow Division only had 4 fish entered.

Is it just us or are there other's out there that would like to see some sort of prize structure that awarded prizes up to the first day of summer and then at the end of the derby?

Maybe some of you have ideas on this subject or we are alone on this issue. As for our crew we would go out more in June if we had a chance of cashing with an early June fish.

Thanks for any input and good fishing to all !

Thats the nature of the beast the longer they eat the bigger they get ,as for a early and late prize structure try to imagine the work involved in running this derby and be thankful there is a summer derby or any at all.as for early june fishing or sooner the big boys are out there just sorta spread out chasing different food groups when the big bait balls come to shore so do the fishies then they sorta slide in for the pre staging also making them easier targets for nearshore fishing 95% of fishing waters. ...........so be thankful for what ya got. and keep tring for the big one and if you really want to get a big fish dont get in the derby at all thats a shure way to get a big one then kick yourself for not getting in it ..see Landsharks post..he saved 25.00 kick ,kick

How about the big fish from the first weekend of June and the Big fish from the Orleans Derby, that would still be leading the Summer LOC had they got in. Never say never! There was a rumor of a 30 pounder taken yesterday that was not in either. As a good friend of mine says GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!

Its gonna take a 32 to win this thing over the next 2 weeks!

Brian

Team Tall Tails

Ray-

You totally missed my point !! We have fished derby's since the early 80's and would not miss one. Our group appreciates all that they do. Was just wondering if summer derby would be more fun with a 1/2 way prize structure. Nothing more nothing less.

I understand where your comming from and didnt miss your point i just know they got there hands full from talking to Dave last year like any event now a days it seems like its harder and harder to find people to help behind the scenes.. I never experienced the 1000.00 a day derby now that would of got me in trouble with the little lady and my gas budget

The $1,000 a day derby was really fun... Used to by the season pass and it made it interesting evrytime out...

They ran out of money and that put and end to that...

Sure would be fun to find a way to get one back up and running... $500 a day derby? Al least you can pay for a tank of gas and beer for the day (...Although Ray might not have any money left for gas....)..

There is a $500.00 a day derby in Canada. It is called the Salmon Masters. I think it ended the last day of June. There is a link for it on the Spoonpullers site.

$1000 A Day Derby was a good derby. It was good to our boat/team. We won the daily prize 6 times and won the early bird drawing which was a 18' Lund fully equipped. Sold the boat for $18,500, That year was great, 24 G's. With alittle more help from more sponsors i think it would of made it farther than it did. Fall Scotty this year is $25,000 first prize guranteed!! Happy fishing!

$500 A Day Derby Link.

http://www.salmonmastersderby.com/index.php

You guys on the south shore should contact Andy at the Salmon Master head quarters and express your interest, if enough of you let him know you want to be able to participate you never know maybe it'll come to the south shore.

Actually he'd probably sell twice as many tickets on the south shore........

Dave