Cayuga 8/8

Did a quick trip after work. Started at the power plant and did a few passes without moving a rod. Headed for deeper water and started a steady pick. Most of the fish were small. Ended up with around a dozen fish. I rainbow about 17" a few small landlocks, the rest lakers most around 3 to 5lbs. Dropped a 6 or 8 lber at the back of the boat. 6 rod spread and we caught fish on every rod. Green spoons and a white paddle with the Iron Duke "Quality time fly" took the most fish. U.V. fly worked as well but Ben's memorial fly was getting the job done. Had a newbie onboard and we dropped a bunch of fish but we still ended with a enough to make him smile. All fish were released! I hate to preach but the DEC is trying to renew the rainbow fishery. A 3 pound fish we release today will be 5 to 8 pound tail dancing fish in a few years! Take a kid or newbie fishing and have a good time.    Wes 

What depths were you fishing. Headed that direction tomorrow. Havent had. A chance to get out this year. Thanks in advance. Will post results to tomorrow.

Did a quick trip after work. Started at the power plant and did a few passes without moving a rod. Headed for deeper water and started a steady pick. Most of the fish were small. Ended up with around a dozen fish. I rainbow about 17" a few small landlocks, the rest lakers most around 3 to 5lbs. Dropped a 6 or 8 lber at the back of the boat. 6 rod spread and we caught fish on every rod. Green spoons and a white paddle with the Iron Duke "Quality time fly" took the most fish. U.V. fly worked as well but Ben's memorial fly was getting the job done. Had a newbie onboard and we dropped a bunch of fish but we still ended with a enough to make him smile. All fish were released! I hate to preach but the DEC is trying to renew the rainbow fishery. A 3 pound fish we release today will be 5 to 8 pound tail dancing fish in a few years! Take a kid or newbie fishing and have a good time. Wes

Awesome job and great report !! I know a few other that have been doing extremely well on that fly as well.. We have charters Friday Saturday and Sunday this week so I will try to report back on Sunday evening.. Way to get a newbie out there, that's what it's all about

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great report good job !!!!!

I hate to preach but the DEC is trying to renew the rainbow fishery. A 3 pound fish we release today will be 5 to 8 pound tail dancing fish in a few years! Take a kid or newbie fishing and have a good time.    Wes 

What make you say that Wes when they still allow 5 rainbows in Cayuga and 3 in the Cayuga tribs and are mostly stocked fish ?

talked with the biologist a few weeks ago.  They are saying we have to many lakers and they have reduced laker stockings and increased rainbow stocking. I think that the limit should be changed to 1 rainbow like Seneca. They are going to judge the success by how many mature rainbows go over the fish ladder in the spring. If all the fish get hammered in the lake before they are old enough to spawn they will more than likely reduce laker stocking even more. Catch and release is a matter of choice and you can legally keep your limit every time that you go out but does that mean you should. I just ask that people think about the future. It is not an endless supply of fish and the better we become as fisherman the more impact we have. We are seeing more pressure because other lakes are slow. You can have fun without killing everything you catch. We have the potential to have a world class fishery if we do not over exploit it.

I hear you Wes I just question the DEC and the biologist , why didn't they increase the # of lakers you can harvest  like they did in Seneca and Keuka. I wonder which lake will lose the stocking of rainbow so they have more for Cayuga ? Is that what they told you if not enough rainbows go over the ladder they will decrease the lakers more and increase the rainbows again by that # ?  Not bashing you Wes you understand how to get more rainbows up the ladder better than they seem to.  

The rainbows have been in trouble for a long time. DEC is slow to make changes and that is part of the problem. I would guess that they are going to wait and see how Seneca does after the limit changes. I will be dead and buried before they make the changes they should have done years ago.  In my opinion they should not even stock rainbows. Native fish to the lake would be lake trout and landlocks. They do great so why not go with them.

Yep they waited to long over here to lower it to 1 fish , they were stocking the same year ( I don't think they ever stocked Seneca before that with rainbows ) and not even the same strain that had done so well over the year. 

Well take care Wes and good fishing to you.

A few years ago stocking anything in Keyuka would have just Laker food. But now maybe something else could take a hold and live there. This is especially true now that everyone is seeing schools of bait fish scattered around the lake. Was interesting hearing fm om the guy fishing up the east arm we have never been there and just ASSUMED nothing was there. Just saying.....jk