55inch musky caught trolling for salmon

Its awfully stressful to catch and release them this time of year even under ideal circumstances. Especially the BIG ones. Sadly, c&r mortality is a part of fishing and cannot be avoided. Happens to even the best prepared and most experienced anglers. This is a unique case but Im sure every effort was made to revive and release the fish.

There was no releasing that fish, he is a friend of mine, the fish had the engulfed the spoon, and was gill hooked. They tried, but it was bleeding too bad, and would not stop, so instead of just letting it go to die, he kept it and it is headed to the wall.

We dropped one 30' behind the boat today fishing off Oswego. So close, but yet so far....

Capt Rich

NYS fishing regulations allow an angler to keep 1 musky per day.  Until NYS says all musky are catch and release, then it is that angler's complete right and provision under the law, granted by the angler's NYS fishing license, to make the decision to keep or release a musky as determined solely by the individual. Period.

NYS fishing regulations allow an angler to keep 1 musky per day. Until NYS says all musky are catch and release, then it is that angler's complete right and provision under the law, granted by the angler's NYS fishing license, to make the decision to keep or release a musky as determined solely by the individual. Period.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I couldn't agree more! I don't mind anyone keeping 1... I just don't like them handled roughly if the angler CHOOSES to release them. Im catch n release but if a fish is really really stressed let alone bleeding I'd rather see them kept than wasted. The fished certainly lived a long life and had many many opportunities to reproduce. If you want to release one this time of year and its not a bleeder keep it in the water and cool it with ice jugs in the net and revive for as long as it takes...

Its encouraging to hear the muskie activity and encounters. I know of bass fishermen hooking up and other anglers encountering some follows as they fight their fish on the SLR. Despite the seemingly higher than usual number of floaters seen this year, perhaps the fishery is not losing ground? Lets hope the above activity is a positive indicator of things to come.