Pistol advice?

I use a Taurus Raging Bull in .480 Ruger. 325 gr Hornady xtp's put a hell of a hole in the deer. 1-4x scope and a solid rest and I've taken deer out to 100 yds. But where I really like it is late season when we are driving deer. Crawling through the brush with my handgun is much better than dragging my shotgun around

I was moving towards the .44 mag I have dies and a lever action Marlin killed many deer with it. Really like the Ruger alot all great advice alot to think about. But also like to have on to carry anytime just to plink at chipmunks and reds all year great fun. And soon the greys are in season.

44 mag killed alot of deer for me. Hit them where you are supposed to and it does the job.

For squirrels, I would want a target grade 22. Squirrels are small targets. Lots of options. Mine is a Marvel target 22 upper on a 1911 frame.

I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .41mag and love it. I keep my shots under 50 yards with open sights.The only drawback to a .41mag is the price of ammo.

. How long is the barrel? I see the 7.5 and 10.5 at gallery. 50 yards is pretty good

• 2 months later...

I've taken several deer with a TC Contender, 10" barrel with with 2.5x scope in .357 maximum (no longer manufactured). It seems to perform about like a muzzle loader. Also have .22 and .223 with 10" barrels and all are very accurate (as accurate as most rifles). For longer shots you need a good rest or shooting stick. Pistols are very handy to carry and good for blinds and tree stands but it does takes a bit more time to get set up for the shot. You also need to practice to know your limits.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

The judge is a badass gun. I have a Taurus auto .40 and a Taurus raging bull revolver with 8 1/2" barrel chambered in .480 Ruger. The semi is a cheap gun (it was my first pistol) but the revolver is a tank. I believe the judge shoots 45 long colt and 410. Great for protection, but probably not a top choice to hunt deer with.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also new to pistol hunting for deer. I recently came across a redhawk .41 caliber with iron sights. My father in law gave me this pistol with a sentimental story behind it. I was able to take a doe with it a few days ago. The ease of mobility in the tree-stand was great. Low recoil, clean pass through at 40yards, good blood trail, quick expiration of the doe. I can say this, I will always bring it with me when the season allows for it. Reviewing the trajectory and confidence gained at the range for the possibility of further shots is needed. Ammo well I'm not to sure on the readily accessibility of that. I may have to lean how to hand load.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You'll have a lot more and better control of things if you do hand load and experiment along the way. Once you have a good feel of it your confidence in your shots will increase dramatically.