Free sliders

When using a free slider and you see the rigger fire, do you pick up the rod and fight the fish or do you wait to make sure the slider has reached the end of your main line? I am always afraid that when I pull and the fish pulls the swivel is going to zip down the line and come to a hard stop. What are your thoughts?

Snyder,

It depends on how far your leads are from the ball to the main line lure. I always get back there as fast as possible and get the line tight. When you are Muskybobs age, it will get there before you put your beer down! :shock:

It will be at the end well before you put your beer down. ;)
(thats too funny)

i would suggest reeling as fast as you can and make up that slack line.

Snyder,

It depends on how far your leads are from the ball to the main line lure. I always get back there as fast as possible and get the line tight. When you are Muskybobs age, it will get there before you put your beer down! :shock:

I really depend on your priorities.......hurry and chance on spilling a perfectly good beer, or.......slow down, carefully finish your beer and hope the fish is hooked good enough to stay hooked. You decide! ;)

If the rod releases then grab it and reel like mad to get to the fish. If you just see the rod shaking and it isn't released we usually leave the rod in the holder and reel it down, usually the combination of the fish and the added tension of reeling will release it without as much slack in the line.

Typically, as Muskybob said, if it's a decent fish it's already released and hooked so you can let someone else get it while you enjoy your beer. And if the fish comes off, you can enjoy your beer while someone else re-sets the rig.

DAN