Going to Cape Cod/West Dennis on August 20th. HELP

I was hoping there might be someone that knows the area and can put me on some fish either from shore or via boat.  

I will be there for a few days.  Can you suggest gear to bring, lures, terminal tackle etc.?  Thanks!  Captain Larry Hammond 

Just a suggestion Larry but it may be worth a short trip to Blackbeard's Bait and Tackle just east of Eastham/Orleans on Rt 6. They can set you up with everything you need as well as info. The guys there are very helpful and know exactly what is happening out there from day to day. The place is right on Rt 6.

Edited by Sk8man

They've moved right onto Route #6 now (nearby). I found the info:   Blackbeard's Bait and Tackle 3700A Route 6 North Eastham Mass. 02651 Tel: (508) 240-3369

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks folks.  I am lucky that a great friend of mine happens to live in Nantucket and has arranged to take me striper fishing and maybe a tuna trip.  I really want to try that canal from shore.  I saw how the current rips through there.  It may be a good lesson on jigging with heavy stuff.  I'm going to bring downrigger rods and 4000 size reels.  I leave on the 20th for a 3 day trip.  

Tight Lines!  Larry

If you go after Tuna you'll want a stiff roller rod instead of a downrigger rod if you want to ever use the downrigger rod again :lol:  Chris' suggestion of the Goose Huummock on 6A is a good one and they carry some fairlly high end stuff and Blackbeard's a few miles up the road but on 6 (past the rotary a couple miles) )has the terminal tackle etc. less expensive and bait as well. I truly share Chris' passion for the Cape... no place like it on Earth been going there since 1967 and my in-laws lived there in Eastham/Orleans for 30 years.  Larry you'll have a blast on Nantucket too.... a true fisherman's place and another favorite of mine (especially Madeket Beach the most eastern point in the U.S I believe.

The main golf course there is so exclusive it turned down Bill Clinton and Bill Gates from membership and when I was last in Nantucket they had a waiting list of over 500 to pay something like $250,000 for membership according to a long time resident I spoke with.

I can understand the country clubs position on membership As it relates to the Clinton and Gates.... Democrats are an unsavory bunch....... Lol. Next thing you know.... They would have to consider the membership requests of women!

Those elitist clubs are really a throw back to a different time.

Edited by EsoxAC3

My son caught this 44 lb'er last night at Scorton's Ledge. He launches in the canal and it's only a couple of hundred yards to Cape Cod Bay. He waits until he sees them on the FF before he shuts off the engine and casts live eels, which immediately swim to the bottom. It's a night bite/early morning bite right now however. I don't know how I let him talk me into getting his commercial license but i did and now he's part of the fleet.

post-151648-0-80350500-1471268926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thun

That is a beauty Thun.  Another good place is just off Monomoy Island out near Chatham with the eels right in the rip tide. They really hammer those eels and run a lot like the way the good sized chinooks run.

Les...he's had a great first season which started June 23rd off Provincetown. Jigging up mackerel with Sabiki rigs and then live lining them. He had more success trolling with leadcore than live lining though. Then when P-town died down, Chatham was hot for a few weeks jigging A27 diamond jigs with flo green teasers (thin ones). He did make a trip to Monomoy but admitted that he needs to go with someone who knows it. Now he's into the Bay with eels using 30 lb PP, 40 lb floro leader, a short shanked octopus hook and an eel. He's still out there now as I type with 10 in the box including that 44 lb'er. If he can get 5 more he'll limit out for the first time but he just texted saying he hasn't had a hit in a couple of hours.

Well he just texted and said he caught his 15th fish, a first for him limiting out. Good Luck henrybud...the bites right in your backyard now and should be there for a bit.

Edited by Thun

It's definatly going on big time up there!!! We were in Rhode Island for a few days then we we went to Plymouth for 2 days I heard the stripers and Blues were running big time!! A fellow we bumped into from Pa. also who fishes a lot for these fish gave me names of guys he knows that have boats and they were booked for longer than we were staying. My wife was disapointed that I didn't get to go but that seems to be my luck. I don't get disapointed that easy anymore. There's always next year!! But yea the fish are in!!! We were on our yearly family vacation which our daughters look forward to every year!!

That is great Ralph :yes:  That is how it goes with stripers though you're in and out of them and also they can stop biting just like somebody turned out the lights :lol:  One of our best spots year after year at Chatham was just out from the channel on an angle toward Monomoy early AM or evening though usually dead during the day when bright light. Tough to beat those eels though.

Edited by Sk8man

Heading to the cape next week for a job interview... if things pan out favorably I have A LOT of Lake O gear to sell. And a whole new game to figure out over there!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app