1st time trolling Canandaigua

My wife booked the family a short vacation at Canandaigua. Although it wasn't going to be a fishing vacation, we still needed to bring the 16 foot Smokercraft so we could pass some time.😄 I started researching Canandaigua fishing and was led to LOU. After days of reading LOU, I decided the fishing wasn't going to be very good. I normally fish bass and walleye and they didn't look promising. Five days before we left I decided I was going to attempt to troll for trout so I made the 1 1/2 hour drive to cabelas and purchased a depthmaster trolling combo, 300 yds of 30lb fire line, 30lb Big Game for backing, 15 lb fluorocarbon leader, Lurk Disco diver size 5, and a Dreamweaver Holo Monkey Puke spoon. I purchased Tite Lok rod holders but I couldn't find a way to mount them on my boat so that they would be horizontal to the water. The first morning I went out, I had no luck even though I marked a few fish around bait. The fish were at 65 ft so I had 100 Ft of line out. The second and last time I was out I found a huge cluster of what I assumed was bait surrounded by fish at any where from 70 to 80 feet over 110 feet of water. The first pass produced nothing so I decided to let more line out to 165 feet and increase my speed to 2.2 mph. As soon as I went over the spot I had marked, I had one on. It turned out to be a 22" Laker but if you would have seen my excitement you would have thought I caught the Holy Grail! The recreational boaters started in full force and the fish disappeared but my trip was already a success. Most of you would consider that two poor days of fishing but I couldn't be happier. Thank you to all who post on here so I could learn enough to give trolling a try. I didn't see anyone else trolling and I'm glad. They would of had a laugh watching me troll with my hand held one rod spread. I didn't use my Scotty rod holder because I thought it would break. Sorry for the long post but I just arrived home yesterday and I'm still pretty excited!

Sounds as though you had fun and that is what it is all about and you also got to experience the other side of it ...the recreational boating crowd :)  If you decide to come back again send me a PM beforehand and I'll be glad to help you out in any way I can. :) There still are some fish in here....

post-145411-0-61377000-1471104098_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Never used to be tough. What happened? I was a newbie out there in a tin can 12footer back in 2005 and caught limits with wire dipsey rigs and a level hand crank down rigger setup off a 2x4.

So explain why it is so bad now? I never see any good reports . Me and FLX used to kill it in there what happened?

Very few reports anymore?

Never used to be tough. What happened? I was a newbie out there in a tin can 12footer back in 2005 and caught limits with wire dipsey rigs and a level hand crank down rigger setup off a 2x4.

So explain why it is so bad now? I never see any good reports . Me and FLX used to kill it in there what happened?

Very few reports anymore?

im not sure but it's not a lack of fish, when the lake froze those 2 winters in a row we ice fished it and the fishing was amazing. Some days we would catch 20 a piece jigging and even the slow days we would get around 5 or more with fish over 10 pounds every trip

Alex no doubt. It's just really frustrating for me to read a report from a newbie like I was 10years ago to Canandaigua and it's"tough fishing" . GV.spent the money planned a great trip and the fishing sucks. I have read countless reports of late...slow day out there too bad it used to be a tremendous fishery . I migrated there from Hemlock where the catch rates were 1 fish per 4 hours for trout. Canandaigua completely changed that I had limits back in 2005 by 7am.

Sounds like something changed that.

I believe that the lake itself  like most of the others around here has changed significantly. I have fished this lake for a variety of species since 1967 and as with Seneca (my original "home" lake) and others there are many environmental factors present that are major change factors taken by themselves let alone in combination. There are now many grape vineyards along the lake, with runoff likely, hundreds of new homes in developments especially along the (higher) west side of the lake (with intermittent flooding in some years) and I have seen for myself in the development  in which I live and increase in homes from 25 to over 250) and landscape companies spreading fertilizer not only on these lawns but also getting it directly on the sidewalks and gutters that empty directly via the sewer  into the lake. These fertilizers and pesticides have very clear warnings on them that say they are toxic to fish and other water inhabitants. The recreational boating traffic on the lake has increased by a hundred fold since the earlier times. with cigar boats, ski boats, and a multitude of jet skis often starting in the early morning hours and running throughout the day  and I am quite sure that the fish are spooked by all this commotion and noise. I can hear some of these cigar boats cranking from my home a half mile away and up a thousand feet off the lake just as though they are in my yard. Right now is the height of the tourism season (boat rentals, people using their docked boat at he marinas etc.) so this is pronounced compared with early Spring or Fall when things are much reduced.

All of this is on top of major water quality changes generated by invasives like increased clarity of the water because of the phytoplankton and zooplankton being filtered out putting increased pressure on the baitfish populations and possibly leading to huge crashes ion some such as the rainbow smelt which used to be present in huge numbers and serves as a complementary forage base to the alewives. The levels of these Zebras and Quagga mussels is pretty high as suggested by the large floating foam accumulations across the surface of the lake.

I have used recording capable depth finders since  1979 or so and I can tell you that the bait concentrations although present are nothing like they used to be nor is the density of fish marked despite the increased resolution and capabilities of depth finders spotting bottom dwelling bait and fish. In the past I have marked literally miles of bait sometimes more than 100 ft. high at the south end and middle portions of the lake and although there are still some intermittent pods it is nothing like in the past suggesting to me perhaps the missing smelt as well as reduced sawbelly population. This stuff is just off the top of my head and I'm not a research scientist but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that things have changed greatly out there either. :)

There are still some large lakers and browns out there but they are much less common as time goes on and different methods of fishing for them need to be explored. The rainbows seem to be pretty healthy and although not as numerous as in the past there si still a pretty healthy population present but again I think the heavy boat traffic is a factor.

Edited by Sk8man

I will just throw in my 2 cents. I know a lot of ppl won't fish this lake in the summer. I'm out there 3-4 times per week and sometimes even 8. I think the trout fishing has definitely changed and much so since the smallmouth die off. 5 years ago I would agree the alewife population was down a bit but in the past 3 years I think they are doing too well. We used to catch smallies feeding on alewife schools over deep water in the summer all the time. As Les stated I'm not a biologist either but it seems to me without the smallies feeding on them I am seeing schools of alewives all over the north end in a large abundance. The trout numbers are definitely there. I have caught more Browns this year than I ever have and numerous days with 10 or more lakers. I think the key is catching the right Windows when they are feeding heavy. I did fish the south end yesterday with only a few bows and a few other misses. I did not mark much activity South so I probably won't be heading back down there soon. Evenings have actually been very productive this summer with an exceptional bite the last hour before dark.

Paul brings in some great points and as a guide and in my view an exceptional trout fisherman he is spending more time these days on this lake probably than anyone I know out there. I too believe those previous die offs had an impact on the fishery and where I used to frequently catch big ones incidentally on riggers or my Seth Greens I haven't caught a single one in the last couple years. It is interesting that the bait and fish seem to be at the north end because for years they would be heavily concentrated at the south end and middle sections of the lake in deeper water (e.g. rainbows out in the middle suspended out deep) at this point in the season with the exception of a few good fish off the drop off at the north end and at the one on the east side as well. The bait would also be heavily concentrated there in the south and middle and often near bottom. The north and south ends of the lake are like two different bodies of water from a fishing standpoint as the north end is a shallow basin stretching for a considerable distance from the north shore while the south end is very shallow at the extreme south end but quickly drops off to very deep water near shore on both sides just a relatively shorter distance from the south shore. I'm wondering perhaps if the deeper dwelling Quagga mussels are more established at the south end and perhaps straining the food for the alewives forcing them to forage at the northern part of the lake with the fish following the bait migration because the south end has seemed pretty barren with few exceptions for a while now while it used to be brown and rainbow trout "heaven".

My wife booked the family a short vacation at Canandaigua. Although it wasn't going to be a fishing vacation, we still needed to bring the 16 foot Smokercraft so we could pass some time.[emoji1] I started researching Canandaigua fishing and was led to LOU. After days of reading LOU, I decided the fishing wasn't going to be very good. I normally fish bass and walleye and they didn't look promising. Five days before we left I decided I was going to attempt to troll for trout so I made the 1 1/2 hour drive to cabelas and purchased a depthmaster trolling combo, 300 yds of 30lb fire line, 30lb Big Game for backing, 15 lb fluorocarbon leader, Lurk Disco diver size 5, and a Dreamweaver Holo Monkey Puke spoon. I purchased Tite Lok rod holders but I couldn't find a way to mount them on my boat so that they would be horizontal to the water. The first morning I went out, I had no luck even though I marked a few fish around bait. The fish were at 65 ft so I had 100 Ft of line out. The second and last time I was out I found a huge cluster of what I assumed was bait surrounded by fish at any where from 70 to 80 feet over 110 feet of water. The first pass produced nothing so I decided to let more line out to 165 feet and increase my speed to 2.2 mph. As soon as I went over the spot I had marked, I had one on. It turned out to be a 22" Laker but if you would have seen my excitement you would have thought I caught the Holy Grail! The recreational boaters started in full force and the fish disappeared but my trip was already a success. Most of you would consider that two poor days of fishing but I couldn't be happier. Thank you to all who post on here so I could learn enough to give trolling a try. I didn't see anyone else trolling and I'm glad. They would of had a laugh watching me troll with my hand held one rod spread. I didn't use my Scotty rod holder because I thought it would break. Sorry for the long post but I just arrived home yesterday and I'm still pretty excited!

Nothing better than trying something new, taking a shot, and being successful. Good for you!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been fishing the last couple weeks on canandaigua lake and it has been tough fishing. Only one fish a trip. Early this year the fishing was pretty good. We have been marking some fish they are just not hitting. Thrown the kitchen sink at them. Any thoughts to changing my cannon balls? I have 10 lbs torpedoes. One green one black. Could this be an issue? At a loss. Any thoughts would helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Craig - August has always been an odd ball month for fishing on just about all the lakes around here for trout and salmon.....very on and off and mostly off. It is understandable and natural that you might think it is something about your fishing methods or setups etc. but I'm willing to bet money it isn't anything you are doing or not doing it is probably the fact that water temps have been high, the weather has been constant and barometric pressures have been pretty static with few significant storms to change anything around.  Over the years I have had the worst fishing in August on most years with the exception of maybe some years with salmon on Lake O. but often even they are hitting out of aggression then rather than feeding per se. I think you will see a good uptick when the water temps start to decline usually as result of cool evenings and significant rain etc.  In my view the boat traffic (sea scarabs, jet skis etc. during this hot sunny weather has to be a detriment as well with all that constant noise and commotion out there. Once kids go back to school vacations are over etc. the fishing usually improves out there once it quiets down a bit.

I have been fishing the last couple weeks on canandaigua lake and it has been tough fishing. Only one fish a trip. Early this year the fishing was pretty good. We have been marking some fish they are just not hitting. Thrown the kitchen sink at them. Any thoughts to changing my cannon balls? I have 10 lbs torpedoes. One green one black. Could this be an issue? At a loss. Any thoughts would helpful. Thanks.

Do you fish out of the reddish/tan boat? If so you are definitely in the right places. I have definitely learned a few things by mistake this year. Last weekend was pretty tough. Saturday was the toughest day I have had all year. Sunday was all bows and I couldn't buy a Laker bite. Today was non stop action with bows and lakers. The one thing I can tell you is I have been trolling slower this year than I have.

I am in the red tan boat. We fish a lot and by now with all the time in we would think it would be better. Very discouraging especially for a six year old who is my first mate. Just love catching fish with him but it's tough to go hours without a bite. I have run flys. Spoons. Lead core and dipseys. Most of my luck has been at around 1.8 surface speed but I vary it if we don't get hits. You can't catch them sitting home just wondered if the cannon balls might be the issue.

I honestly don't think the color of the weights is it. Distance from them of your line/leader combined perhaps with exactly what your are running might be a factor...sometimes they want stuff right up close and other times it pays to run it way back especially when running up higher in the water column . For example yesterday on Cayuga the landlock hit when I lengthened the lead to about 75 ft back on the rigger but wouldn't touch the same spoon at about 30 ft same general speed.  The slower speed mentioned by Paul would suggest to me that if you have any Sutton's  small to medium sized that they would be my go to's for the slower speeds as that is where many of them really excel. I would be thinking 50-70 ft down about now too for the bows and running deeper for the lakers with f'f's.

Edited by Sk8man

Mottman I sent you a pm but yes as Les stated very light flutter spoons and I'm running them 1.6 sog. I will very between 1.5 and 1.7 and I'm getting everything. Browns, bows and of course lakers. The family I took in the pouring rain today just sent me these pics.

post-145978-0-47366500-1472686796_thumb.jpeg

post-145978-0-56802400-1472686816_thumb.jpeg

post-145978-0-15410100-1472686829_thumb.jpeg

post-145978-0-16635300-1472686844_thumb.jpeg

post-145978-0-27928700-1472686860_thumb.jpeg

To anyone out here considering trolling Canandaigua for the first time or not being familiar with the lake I would strongly suggest going out with Paul Nagel http://www.canandaiguafishing.com/ the first time. He is a very experienced and knowledgeable guide and a multi species guy who can greatly shorten the learning curve for you. He has also been very generous with information and tips here on LOU  despite making part of his income from guiding and that is something in my view that is very commendable.  It is easy to waste a lot of time out there if you don't know the lake and its peculiarities and seeing how he does it first hand will be well worth your time and money. :)

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Les, very kind words. Just got back in from a trip tonight and fishing is really picking up. Got the slam tonight with a nice couple. The woman gave me a really hard time when I handed her the rod and said it was small and she pulled in a nice brown. Everything on junk lines tonight. 10 color and wire diver out 71 took 7 fish including the biggest laker.

post-145978-0-76947200-1472781194_thumb.jpg