Speed & Temp Units ??

Between Depth Raider, Cannon and Moore which do you guys prefer and why? Not factoring in price just based on experience, longevity of how long units last and accuracy, updated info etc.

Might be buying one just hearing alot of mixed review on each unit figure I'd throw it out there even tho I'm sure this horse has been beating a few times. Sorry I'm a newbie Salmon guy.

Thanks

Kevin

I started out with the subtroll and it was a good unit and pretty accurate. I now run the Cannon unit and it's a very good product with some helpful faetures. The down side is that if you loose the probe it costs about 400.00 to replace. Lots of guys run the depth raider and it's also very good. The plus for the depth raider is the cost of a replacement probe, half of what you would pay for the Cannon probe. I would go with the depth raider.

Been running a Depth Raider for a few years and recommend it highly. Probe and dash unit are smaller than the Sub-troll and the display is digital as opposed to the speed dial and very small digital temp readout.

Mechanically I've never had an issue with it at all and it has read as deep as 130', never tried w/out coated cable.

Sub-troll is a very reliable S&T unit as well, my brother has one and it works just as consistently and has held up over time - he's had his for appx. 3 years longer than my DR.

DAN

I like the cannon just because of the depth fiture. It tells you exactly how deep your rigger is. I have 2 units, a ray jeff and cannon. Both are good units and are within a tenth of a mile on the speed but like i said the cannon tells me how deep i really am with my rigger.

I rely on my sonar unit for rigger depth. Either the calibration is off on the Cannon or I'm not dropping it down right. The depth it shows is much higher on the Cannon than it shows on the graph. I have verified this with balls bouncing bottom in 80 fow and the unit shows the ball at 70ft down. The best feature I think is the light meter showing light penetration percent at the depth of the ball. The worst feature is the part that your downrigger wire makes contact with the antenna wire on the probe. If you have ball retrievers they could break that .70 part and put you out of business. I ordered 3 extra ones from Cannon.

I went from the the Fish hawk to depth raider like the depth raider a lot more. Very steady speed and temp does not bounce around like the fish hawk. Replacement probe like said above is cheaper to replace.

Thanks guys, even though it will only get used once or twice a year I want to have a very succesfull Salmon trip to Ontario this year, I'll be there for 5 days and I know things can change in a heartbeat so I think it's worth the investment.

Does anyone know if the headunit display can easiely be taken off the bracket and unplugged so I can store it indoors when not in use?

K:

You didn't mention a brand so I read that as looking for data on all.

The Cannon monitor easily comes of the boat. It has a thumb screw bracket and connector on the back. If you desire to remove the down rigger, you need to make some adjustments or live with the need to twist the cable trough the antenna. On my 19 footer, I connected the cable to the removable DR and coiled up the slack. It all comes off with the DR. The power cable and antenna join at the single connector so I spliced in a 2 prong connector into the power cable near the monitor.

Well I have a tournament Ranger Walleye boat rigged as rigged can be, what's one more screen on top of the 3 I already have. I just won't use it while walleye fishing most of the time, figured I'd save it some sun and rain and rough water pounding while not being used so it lasts longer. I think I have the perfect spot for it 8)