Cayuga 8/14

FishingTheFL

Fished from 2 to 5:30. Went out targeting perch but ended up with 17 sunnies and one perch.

1d637e60614c00a910222c1fa0150826.jpg

Action was fast and furious til the wind picked up and start pushing me around.

Lots dead large mouth at the launch after 8 dead ones at the launch yesterday... What a waste... Tourney guys just ditching dead fish... And they call themselves "sports men"... What a waste of fish

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was out of Deans Sunday. The launch had floaters everywhere. They weighed in up the hill, then made the walk down the stairs to dump the fish bags off the dock. I wouldn't be very healthy after a 60mph ride in a warm live well either. I was upset about it also.

I was the guy in the brown boat giving them all crap about it... "What 30 dead bass in two days? You guys call yourself sports men?" Surprised I didnt have flat tires when I came back. How many died in the week tournament earlier this year?? Come on now...

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lots of people would not say a thing....WTG....

One group was from NY, the other was from N. PA. My cousin tried for 20 minutes to get a 7-8 pounder revived with no luck waiting the 20 minutes to get out of the water. Every one of those guys power loaded the boat also. I was upset. I don't carry because of idiots like that. Ohh, and the local charter captain that threw his trout guts in the woods next to the launch, hope you fall in them next week taking a leak before sun up. Sorry for the rant. The bass guys; do they put a little non chlorinated ice in the live well to help the stress on the fish, pads around the inside of the well to not concuss the fish at the high speed they travel to the scale? Maybe their scull mask will fly off and they can catch a dragonfly in the eye for the bag of floaters dumped off the dock with a "come on buddy, swim" effort. Bacteria will be on those fish, don't swim around or touch them now.

Not to change the lake thread, but what you guys are seeing and talking about is the exact thing that happened on LakeO in Chaumont Bay year after year!! The weigh station was in Sackets Harbor a good distance away from each other, but at 60-70 mph maybe 10 minutes, the dead floaters were everywhere, both large and smallmouth, now you need to work your ass of to catch a few. Between the gobies and the catch&release season and the tourneys their well on their way to making it very hard for the average Joe with his young son or daughter to catch a fish so they stay interested in the sport. Any fool can can catch a bass of the nest. Why can't they catch weigh and release right where they caught it like the pro's do now. This goes for any lake they have a tourney at.!!!

Tournaments of ANY type are wasteful, and kill many many fish of all species, fresh and salt..
 In the words of the great salt water sportfishing  author Frank Woolner-

"Fishing should not be a competitive sport, it should be a contemplative sport"..

Bass fishing in Cayuga is a pale shadow of what it was, and MUCH of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the "sportsmen" who pound the  lake relentlessly in the dozens of tournaments held here each and every year.. it isn't just big money tournaments but dozens of small local club tournaments  as well.

I look forward to a day when people stop trying to "outdo" one another with such a valuable and vulnerable natural resource.. We simply do NOT respect it at all.. Flame away,, I know a lot of members here love tourneys, but I myself despise them as I have personally witnessed the  horrible results.. Dead fish everywhere near the weigh in... bob

60 dead fish at the bass masters tourney on the SLR in Clayton in July..... That doesnt include those that swam off and went belly up due to stress. It's Sickening!! Tourneys like that should be eliminated or at least weigh- ins Re thought with sustainability in mind.